Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rear suspension change needed?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Deuce: Those long, hefty arms look great for transferring the push but I wasn't sure if the design was completely obsoleted by later ones. For straight-line travel, it looks like the harder it shoves, the more it has to lift the car. If I can find my dream donor car, a '76 Cadillac, I'll probably adapt its rear end to this setup instead of getting a Ford 9". The rear track of that Caddy is just 1.7" wider than the Olds. Or were you talking about somehow putting the Ford 9" into the existing housing?

powerrodsmike: The harsh ride is what I want to avoid. Easy spring changes sounds good, in case I get the itch to find out what it will do in a 1/4. When I took the shock links off and the panhard bar loose, the frame jumped up quite a bit, with the right side considerably higher than the left. I was hoping modern springs might have some magic to be shorter without being harsher. If the frame has to be notched to get both lower and retain a good ride, so be it! The front suspension does worry me. Images attached.

OneMoreTime: I will make sure the frame is at least as strong when finished as before. I don't mind intruding on the trunk space. To mock it up and find out how much the frame has to be altered, I need the donor car on hand, at its normal ride height?

I know where I want to end up with this car; it's getting from here to there that I don't know about. There's a huge difference between putting a car back to specs in a service manual and creating a unique mutant. Without you folks being willing to share what you know, I'd have been lost down any of multiple blind alleys by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49-olds-front-suspension.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	15038   Click image for larger version

Name:	49-olds-front-2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	15039