rear suspension question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2002, 10:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question rear suspension question

K, I know this will seam like a very dumb question to many of the people on this board. But I am just getting into the REAL MUSCLE and I need to ask.

My question is this, What is the main differance between a PARALLEL LINK and a LIFT BAR rear suspension? What will be the best for mainly street, some track use? (I should mention that I am on somewhat of a budget)

I am building a `63 Nova. I do not want a 4 link.
It was recomended to me that I get a ladder bar set up. I am assuming the lift bar is the closest to that description.

Also , were is the best to get the parts I need? (I have been in touch with Martz and Heidt's.

I look forward to some advice and thanks for reading.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2002, 11:29 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i've never heard of either term but would guess a parallel bar is a panard bar which would center the car over the rear end. it's attached to one side of the top of the rear end and goes to the opposite side of the car attaching to the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2002, 03:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Lightbulb

Ladder bars, as opposed to 4 link, are a bit simpler to install and are easier to adjust however a four link will probably give you a bit better ride.

Some people don't like ladder bars but mine have given very good service for the last 5 years and I have no complaints.

There are a few different ways to set up ladder bars. One is with a panhard bar, another is with a wats link and the last is triangulated.

Triangulated is the most difficult to install but will give a bit better ride and is somewhat easier on parts.

When installing parallel ladder bars you need something to locate the rear end and keep it from moving from side to side. One way is a panhard bar. A simple bar that is attached to the frame on one side and the axle on the other. As the axle moves up and down the bar keeps side to side motion under control.

The other anchoring system is called a wats link. It consists of a pair of panhard rods that are hooked to a swivel that is mounted to the top of the center of the rear end. This system will not allow the rear to move side to side hardly at all where the single panhard bar will allow a small amount of movement.

What you use depends on how much work you want to do. The easiest of course is the parallel setup with a panhard bar.

Good luck.

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Centerline ]</p>
Old 08-16-2002, 06:54 PM

Was just looking at a rear clip from MARTZ online. Now they have a 4 link (I do not want to go with this because of the cost, work and NOISE.....a buddy has one in his street rod and it is always making noise, the car hooks great....but the trade off is just not worth it to me) a parellel link and a lift bar clip built to your specs.
I know what a four link is, so what is the ladder bar set up? Either of the remaining two?

Like I said, I am new to this...but eagerly looking forward to getting it done.
Thanks for the advice thus far.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:09 PM

http://www.swracecars.com/frames.html
This will give you an idea of ladder bars (sometimes called a 3-link).

A parallel link is like a 4-link accept the bars stay parallel because you can not adjust your suspensions geometry and instant center like a 4-link.
Southside Machine has a "bolt on" traction bar called a Lift Bar.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.