rear suspension on street rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2002, 04:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post rear suspension on street rod

I am building my firstcar. 38 buickcoupe,70 455 stage 1, 700-4r, 12 bolt built for 68 olds . My front suspension is 80 camaro clip, which I just finished welding in place. I am now starting on the rear. I am using the origional coil springs and new origional shocks ,adjustable top control arms,late model stock lower control arms and a panard bar. I moved the rear back 1" to center in WW. My question is- are you better off to have the springs as far outboard as possible? I have lowered the car 31/2" and I will have to move the top of the spring to the top of the frame.. I am going to use a piece of 6" pipe to "c" the frame . I am trying to decide weather I should cut and fit all the way out to the outside of the frame leaving the outside skin or go in to the center seam of the boxed area,about 1 1/2" in, with my outside edge of the "c" to make my spring tower. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Tjhanks,Ken

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2002, 04:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Lightbulb

You should be able to mount the springs inside the frame rails with no problems. If you want, use a rear sway bar which should keep any body roll to a minimum.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:32 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

The springs(and shocks and sway bar links) should be as far outboard as possable. If you move the springs in(as in a pro street car) you need to go up on the rate of the springs (the shocks also need to valved diff)Thats one of the reasons pro street cars dont handle very well(that and big wide tires that are usally run to soft LOL) I do know what your talkin about as i am in the middle of a 39 myself.Think we are gonna use a 90 supercoupe IRS this time.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:32 PM

Hey 455Ken,
Old 03-05-2002, 06:43 PM

Sorry about the mis-fire reply...hit the wrong button, but as I was gonna say before my brain disengaged from my fingers, I can suggest a viable option the the set up you are considering. I have a '40 Buick coupe which had coil springs originally, and I used a TCI rear suspension relocator kit for a 55-57 Chevy and converted to leaf springs. I did this mainly because the person before me had used a Nova rearend and leaf springs, and I didn't have a clue what the coil spring set up consisted of. The Nova was a monoleaf spring on each side. It was not enough for the weight of my car and really didn't work that well. The TCI kit has 5 springs on each side, and is almost the same length as the Nova springs, and is adjustable front and back to set your car where you want it. Your frame may be different, but the length of the leaves had to be something like 54" to work on my frame. Chassis Engineering and other spring selling folks didn't have anything that long, all were about 48". There are probably other manufacturers that sell something that would work, but the TCI kit has basically everything you will need to make it happen. If you are interested in more detail, I gotta mouth full and plenty of digital pics to back it up.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:49 PM

Hey Guys , Thanks for the input but I just bought a Jag rear- anybody have any experiance at installing one?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Its a handfull on that frame. Also big bucks to fix anything.Rotors are very hard to change unless you fab up your own cradle .The e-brakes sometimes are not the best in the world if the rotors are not perfect. They still bring good money as some guys still have to have them.My vote sell it and buy a vette rear if you have to have IRS.84-90's i only pay 450-650 for complete(no miles /low miles) .That way you can go right down to you parts store and get any part. I am trying the T-bird IRS this week in a buick to see how good they will work out.They are dirt cheap so far.I know they ride real good.(own a supercoupe with a factory one,same as a mark 7) Before you get to crazy with the Jag maybe sell it and make a proffit??? I know guys will tell you how good they are ,but it was our only really good IRS choice 10-20 years ago.Now ......would try to go something diff just cause of what everything costs plus not much aftermarket stuff that works very good(rotors and pads and calip have been pretty bad aftermarket WHEN you can get them) Hey good luck keep use posted.
Maybe i will post some pix of the t-bird in the buick next week if i get it done.(they take all the 8.8 stang stuff,gears and posi and stuff)
Old 03-11-2002, 05:02 PM

how about using ford 1/2 ton springs? I believe these springs are 57", and I'm assuming the longer the springs the smoother the ride?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.