Rear suspension suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear suspension suggestions

Hey guys I would appreciate any input on my rear suspension you can offer. I'm building a 76 cobra II and want to put a narrowed 9in in the car that I already have. I want to run 10" or 11" rear tires so I need to mini tub the car which requires getting rid of the leaf spring rear suspension or moving it inboard. I plan to drive this car on the street mostly and maybe some track time. I would like it to handle better than a new mustang and handle at least 600hp with a manual trans. So my question is do I go 4-link, triangulated 4-link, 4-bar or what? I have to do the work myself but I'm sure you guys understand that no only for financial reasons but because I want too. I really was leaning toward triangulated 4-link until I read some of the threads in here and now I'm just unsure. I would also like to add that this is the first rear suspension I have ever attempted to build so I need all the help I can get. I would like to run coil-overs for the adjust-ability but I'm open to any suggestions. I hope I covered all of the pertinent information and thanks in advance guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

The last highly successful RWD beam axle sportsracer was the early Jaguar C-Type. (The late C-Types used the IRS which would also be used in the D-Type.) I would suggest you follow the lead of the Jaguar engineers and use an asymmetric 3link. This can provide equal rear tire loading on launch and, as was shown at Le Mans, excellent handling.

A setup spreadsheet can be found on Page 18 of my site. Phone or fax me if you have any questions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM

suspension

Hey thanks a lot I never thought of a 3 link. By the way I'm glad you replied after reading all the posts I could find on here I saw a lot of you talking about suspensions and was hoping you would answer my post you seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCobraII
...you seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff.
You hit the nail on the head. BillyShope pretty much wrote the book on modern day racing/hot rod suspensions. Sort of the "Gospel according to Billy". You can't get any better advice...anywhere.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.