rear sway bar - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2003, 07:29 AM
No Bodies does it better

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post rear sway bar

I going back to work on my 67 chevelle malibu, but I'm putting it up to par with today safty fetures I have a front disk brake set. A th400 trans and I just ordered a 396 long block to make it basically a ss. I was looking at moroso rear ends and they have a 12 bolt eaton posi rear with torqe arms and coil springs. Now from what I understand Torqw arms connect to the rear sway bar, Is this correct? Does all cars have a rear sway bar and if no are they hard to install? what does rear control arms connect to? and so on? will it be hard to replace a powerglide with a th400??? Thanks for all your help, to those who helped me with question before and reply to the thread of this question...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2003, 11:20 AM

I'm not going to try to answer a chevy specific question with regard to the torque arms, you should refer that question to Moroso.

You will see two types of rear stabilization bars.

Panhard bar: It will connect to some point, usually the right or left side of the axle, near the brake face plate. A long bar is run from this point to connect on the opposite side of the car at the frame. The panhard bar keeps the frame centered over the rear end so that it does not shift in cornering. It has minimal effect on body roll.

Sway bar: The sway bar is rigidly connected to the frame or body usually above the rear axle or the lower A arms of the front suspension. The bar is a "u" shaped bar. The ends of the "u" are connected to outside of the rear axle or to the outside of the "A" arms of the front suspension. If the suspensension is raised or lowered equally on both sides of the car, the sway bar just pivots at the frame attachment point and has very little effect on the ride. If the action is to raise one side and lower the other or to raise one side and the other side remains neutral, the bar has to twist and in so doing pulls the attachment point in the opposite direction of the action. So if you were cornering to the right, the right side of the car would naturally rise and the lefts side would fall. The sway bar would pull the right side down and lift the left side causing the body roll to flatten and give more equal traction on all tires.

A roll bar will stiffen the ride in the corners and has little effect otherwise.

You have to "tune" a suspension when you use sway bars because they will change the amount of traction bias from front to rear. It is usually a good idea to add them both front and rear. A really stiff front bar and no bar or a soft rear bar will tend to produce overstear. A soft front bar or none coupled with a stiff rear bar will tend to induce understeer. Once you get them adjusted, then you can fine tune tire pressure to give you optimal road grip.

Both of these bars can have a profound effect on an older car and make it handle a whole lot better. If you are just a drag racer, you don't want a sway bar.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

I have been heavy into Chevelles over the years,still have 4,I don't really know what you mean by Torqe arms[might be moroso's name],could this be upper and lower rear control arms? Rear sway bar was an option on early chevelles,most chevelles don't have a rear sway bar.the sway bar is bolted to the inner rear of both lower control arms,the lower and upper control arms are connected to the frame,about one above the other,On super sport chevelles,there is a stablizing bar bolted between the upper and lower rear control arm frame mounts for added strength,The sway bar bolts on with 2 bolts on each lower control arm,But you must use a set of Boxed lower control arms,you can box your stock arms youself,they sell kits which you can weld in.If the lower control arms are not boxed,you could colaspe the arms, As far as a turbo 400 replacing a powerglide,the chevy 400 will bolt the same as a powerglide to the motor,but the length is slightly longer,which would require to shorten your drive shaft.I think the rear cross member must be moved back to the next set of mounting holes.You must change the yoke.to a 400 yoke,which is larger than the powerglide.The flywheel might have to be changed,to the larger flex plate,if you go to the larger flexplate,then you must change the nose of the starter to let the starter to engage correctly.A turbo 350 is a bolt in deal. Got any other questions,feel free to e-mail me,As I have done this change over many times.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.