Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear Tires

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sandflea427SS 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm getting new tires and rims for the chevelle and I'd like to be able to hold a mickey thompson 29x12.5-15 sportsman tire in the rear.....will it fit with the stock rear-end or what do i need to do to get it to fit?

#2 ·
I've seen some pretty big tires in the back of Chevelle's, but I don't know if they were 12.5". There may be an easier way, but this is what I would do. Jack the car up and take one of the rears off, then support the car on the rear axle with a jack stand. Then measure half of 29 (14.5") from the middle of the axle straight up to the wheel well. That's going to be how high the tire is. From there, you are going need to meaure 12.5" across and see if it fits. I tape a piece of string on the back of the quarter where 14.5" hits, and put a weight at the end so you have a spot where it's perpindicular (because the fender goes in as you go up). With that string, you can measure from there to the hub to get your backspacing. I would think you would have to roll the lip on the quarter wheel well, then bang in the inner a little also.

I hope that wasn't too confusing...

#3 ·
I have 275/60/15s that fit way easy on my 69 Chevelle and 72 Monte. Why oh why won't anyone make rims with enough backspacing! I have centerlines with 4 7/16 backspacing! I think at least I could fit a 295/50 or maybe even a 305/50 with the right rim; and maybe doing a little fenderlip massage! This is with both stock rearends. I think you can go to a 66 or 67 Chevelle rear since they are a few inches narrower. IF you need too!

#4 ·
Hey Sandflea, with the 275's, isn't there a ton of room in the wheel well? The reason I ask is because I had 275's on my 69 Camaro and all I had to do was roll the lip and a little banging on the inside. I always thought that Chevelle's had a ton of more room under there...

#5 ·
ya...I don't know about a ton a room...but there's room....I haven't looked at the Chevelle in a while but the Monte has about 2 inches inside the tire with the 275s and the lip on the quarter is super wide....but it will be tough to roll the lip with the quarter molding attached.
The thing that surprised me is how easy a 275 fits under a later car like my 79 Z-28.....The same Centerline with 4 7/16 backspacing.....Super!!!!

OH yeah...let's talk about the room under my 69 Impala....muhahaha
:pimp: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.