Rear Whell bearing removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear Whell bearing removal

I need some help removing rear wheel bearings of the differential. I already upgraded to posi unit brand new 3.73 gears and now need to replace these bearings.

One side the bearing was actually in pieces. I wasn't driving car its a project at the moment. I'm glad I had decided to change oil in there and find all these defects in it.

I'm trying to remove the bearings and I haven't been able to get them loose yet. Can I just tear them off by breaking them in pieces? Any tricks of the trade?

Thanks,
Jd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Try heating the bearing with a torch, works for me!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Slide hammer.....
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I've been able to remove the race by putting the C-clip on the end of the axle shaft and sliding it in the axle tube and using it like a slide hammer.
works good and cost is 0 $. If the C-clip falls off use an extending magnet tool retriever to get it out and try again.
You will need to get the new bearing pressed back on the axle though.
As far as getting the new race back in, I've used a brass drift to tap it in the tube. Care will have to be taken to get it in straight just like a new front seal
on a tranny.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Own a welder? If so, remove any remaining bearing rollers and weld a bead around the inside of the race. The bead goes on the surface the rollers contacted. This will shrink the race and it will fall out with finger pressure when it cools.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Okay well I tried to take it out but it shattered into pieces. Now All I have is the ring in there. From what you guys are saying is heating the sucker up will get it to come off?

Thanks,
JD
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

i dont understand how it will shrink to be any smaller than it was before it was welded/heated

wouldndt heating the axle tube be better since it would heat expand the tubing around the race outside diameter, and then allow the race outside diameter to be smaller than the inside diameter of the tube then?

im glad ive never have to replace one of these hmm

but replacing other similar things that are pressed in such as control arm bushings on later cars etc is no fun either.... had to do many of them in recent times... just did the rears on the 200 saturn LS car last week., were totally gone shot sloppy inside edge of tire treads shot due to it.... and car jumped arround over bumps, now its fine straight solid good with the new bushings.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 PM

Hmmm I'll try that. Well I'm in my garage trying everything I can to accomplish this. They were ok until I got the car to lift the front wheels off the ground when I gunned it. After that I felt the car struggling to move. It felt like the wheels were locking. I took rear end apart and found the bearings shattered to pieces. I guess they were the orginal ones. Wen I decided to change the oil BINGO I saw metal pieces etc. Now I'm on a mission trying to remove these bearings lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Hose it down with some penetrating oil let it set a day or so, get a slide hammer, can be rented from pep boys if you do not want to buy one, also they can be bought through JC Whitney for a great price.

Back to the removal, use the 3 jaw configuration it will grab what is left and have at it. You may not get it the first go, shoot some more penetrating oil and just work with it. It will come out . Using a c clip and axle, that clip could self destruct and then you would need to clean out that mess, make it easy on yourself get a slid hammer ..
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355Nova
Okay well I tried to take it out but it shattered into pieces. Now All I have is the ring in there. From what you guys are saying is heating the sucker up will get it to come off?

Thanks,
JD
You want to shrink it, not expand it. Heat causes expansion. You either want to expand the axle housing or shrink the bearing. That's where the weld comes into play. Anyone who welds knows the forces a weld bead applies. Putting a bead inside the race will shrink it, and a large enough race will shrink enough you can rattle it in the bore. (Large being 4-6 inches where I learned this trick) Folks can argue this or try it and come back with "Wow, that really works!". Your choice.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I'm trying to remove the bearings and I haven't been able to get them loose yet. Can I just tear them off by breaking them in pieces? Any tricks of the trade? Thanks, Jd
Not so much of a trick is to use the right type tool:

If you cannot find one to borrow or rent, there are other ways to go about it, but be careful w/what you do so that the axle tube ID isn't buggered up in the process.

If you do the welding technique, be sure that you first stuff a wet rag down the tube to stop the tiny "BB's" from the weld from getting down to the diff.

If the diff is out, a length of cast iron plumbing pipe (sold in 10' lengths) can be used as a punch to knock the race out from the opposite side. But if I understand your dilemma, the diff has already been installed.

A "puller" can be made on site from an eye bolt, a couple sturdy cross pieces, washers and a nut.

One cross piece sized to fit inside the tube is placed through the hole of the eye bolt. The eye bolt/cross piece is then positioned behind the race in the axle tube. The threaded end of the eye bolt passes outside the end of the tube.

Then a sturdy piece of flat stock wider than the axle tube, w/a hole in it sized to allow the eye bolt to pass through, is placed onto the eye bolt and held against the end of the axle tube, then a greased pair of washers followed by the nut is placed on the end of the eye bolt.

When the nut is tightened, the cross piece behind the race will be pulled outward, bringing the race with it.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

In defense of the C-clip method, I've done it a few times only because a slide hammer wasn't available or attainable at the time. I've never had one "self destruct". It worked for me and saved my butt half way between nowhere and somewhere and was the only option I had at the time.

Kind of wish I had never brought it up. Don't do it, it only works for me!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

It should pull right out with a slide hammer, even a simple 1 finger (hook) style.
Those races also split real easy with a good sharp chisel. Just be careful not to damage the housing.

Chet
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I see nothing wrong w/using a c-clip on an axle to pull the race.

Just like if welding or using a slide hammer for that matter, just stuff a rag inside the tube so nothing gets past it, when the rag's removed it brings nearly everything w/it, what's left is easily cleaned up.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
JD
This is the best way to do it. Get you a piece of small conduit maybe a 1/2 inch. thick,and It has to be long,and your differentail can not be in. Go in threw your left rear axle tube where the bearing is for the left side is,and slide the pipe threw till you hit the ridge on the old bearing on the right side the pipe must be longer than your housing ,and knock out the right bearing,and then go threw your right side,and do the same on the other side.. Ive done this,and it wont even tear the seal its super easy ,and works better guarantee it. Kinda hard to explain

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.