Hot Rod Forum banner

rearend info needed

880 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ricks032003 
#1 ·
hi everyone; can anyone help with factory info for an rear end on 87 ford t-bird coupe 5.0 engine? i'am considering buying one for an streetrod but before going to an salvage yard i'm hoping someone knows what gear ratio was offered that year, is the rear end an 7.5 or 8.8, how can i tell the difference? thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Stock for a 5.0 T-bird was a 7.5" rear with 2.73 gears. The shape of the cover on a 7.5 is round on the sides & flat on the top & bottom. An 8.8 is flat on all 4 sides. Both have 10 bolts holding the cover. I don't know the exact width, but it's 1.5" wider than a '79-'93 Mustang rear end. If you can find one from an '87-'88 T-bird Sport, it would likely have a Traction-Lock inside. '88 Sports have the horizontal "quad-shocks". '87's may have also, but I'm not sure. They also have larger sway bars than normal T-birds, about the same size as a 5.0 Mustang used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.