rearend swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rearend swap

can anyone tell me what rearend is in a 81 2500 vandura??and second question is will it fit in a 79 firebird,and if not,can anyone tell me some other cars that would hold a rearend that would bolt up to this car?thx in advance

Advertisement

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 03-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Re:rearend Swap

Hi the vandura is about 4 inches wider atleast,l know any trans am, firebird or camaro up to 81 will work. TROY
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM

4 inches wider,that i like,any mods to bolt it up,and is it bigger than a 7.5,because thats whats in my car,and just tryin to make it stronger for free for now,what about the bolt pattern for wheels,i imagine wheels wouldnt bolt from one to the other?would it also have a bigger drum break setup ?would the hookup driveshaft wise be the same?knowing what is in the van for a diff from factory would better help my desicion,i know its an open carrier,but if it is at least an 8.5,i will just mini-spool it till it goes and then spend money for something that can handle my power,thx

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 03-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

RE:rearend swap

Hi there are 2 rearends that could be in that van, 28 spline 5 bolt 8.5 or 30 spline 8 bolt 10.5, now if you do use the 5 bolt its still not very strong whether you spool it or not, an l'm sure your not putting the 8 lug bolt on, and you said that the 79 firechicken has a 7.5? Well l went to the books for that one because both mine are 8.5, camaro and T/A, anyways they never put anything other than a 8.5 in them from 1970 to 1981, so somethings not right, maybe someone down sized, but not likely! TROY
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You should have an 8.5 unless someone removed it!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 PM

yes it has been downsized,and i shouldve said that,my appologies,i had a line on the ORIGINAL rear for the car,but that didnt pan out,so now im on my own,so this would be a direct bolt in,is there ANYTHING that i need to know,are the break drums the same size??what about the ebrake setup,is all this gonna be a problem for me?and the bolt pattern,is it the same?cause if not that would mean new rims too,so please,i dont have the manual for the van,and dont want to buy one as it is a junker after i pull the drivetrain,MORE INFO,plz,plz,thx
Old 03-05-2008, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

RE: rearend swap

Hi the van rearend won't fit right in, you'll have to remove the spring perchs in, cut and reweld them, the e-brake lines might be to short, but l'm not 100% sure of this? The brake drums will be atleast a size up and heavier, the bolt pattern will be truck(big bolt pattern), it would be cheaper and easier to get one from the wreckers($100) around here, l know my father-inlaw lives in Calgary an he's always saying that that kind of stuff is cheap there. TROY
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM

very helpful troy,im trying to stay away from gettin one from the wreckers,but seems like it would be way more trouble than an 8.5 is worth to try to put the van diff in the car
now if i can ask,what cars should i be looking to rip a rear out of,that is,if possible,with the least amount of MODS to install in my car,and definately no welding,to find trans am and firebirds ina wrecker yard is virtually impossible around here,so if some info on which diffs would bolt right in(if possible) would be great.whats the smallest on i could get away with,300 natural horse,430 on spray,auto,no stall yet,but planning on 2600 approx,235/50/17
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Pretty much the only bolt ins are the camaros and firebirds from 1981 and earlier. I think it is 72-81 that is closest match. Look on craigslist and kijiji, as well as local classefieds. One good way to get parts is find an advertisement by a guy who seems to have a lot of parts for the car, and call him even if he doesnt advertise the specific part you need. If he doesnt have it ask him if he knows anyone who does.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

Hi Fiscus hasgot some good ideas, l've use craiglist, to buy and sell parts and cars, you have it in Edmonton and Calgary, its free to put and ad in, it's pretty easy to fine parts with it, maybe a week and you'll have it! the years for camaro, firebird and T/A's are 70 to 81. To but the van one, it will cost you more $ if you don't have the equipment, or skills to do it with! A good 8.5 will handle that power! lf it comes down to it, and your bored or want to go for along drive drop down(11 hr drive about $100 in gas V-8) l got 2 rearends sitting, 1 78 z-28, 1 78 camaro, single tire fire, free for the taking, could put them in and put new diff in later, however, whatever there there. TROY
Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM

wow,thats very generous of you,makes me wanna rent a car and take you up on that,my motor will be done in a month,and if i cant find anything in that time,maybe we could make a trade for something that i have,i gotta pair of 302 ford heads out of a car that met the tree gods,there not crap,there actually rebuilt with new guides as well,does that interest you at all,cause i dont believe in takin something for free(unless you joking that is)lol,,get back if your serious
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Hi ya l meant it, if a scraper would come get them they'd be gone already, so there worth nothing to me, beside you'd have to pay for your gas,so think of it as your doing me a favor, now there good, just not a posi or limited, l've already got them in the cars, so no use to me, but free's good! TROY

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.