Rearend, whats involved in the swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 05:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rearend, whats involved in the swap?

I have a 1940 chevy sedan all original. I also have a disc brake rearend out of a 99 camaro z-28. The rearend also has the lower control arms,brake lines and everything needed I believe. First question, is there a guide or tech article on swapping leaf spring to coil springs? Is there a specific rearend people use in this type of car?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most rodders with that year Chevrolet use a Camaro/Nova rear end from the early seventies or a 9 inch Ford. But you plans sound good too.....

But on the leaf springs....

All of the coil cans and stuff can be fabricated....for the 40 but MOST use the stock 40 rear springs or up grade to a newer ,better set of similar design.

Here is a photo of the fabricated coil cans and the 4 link suspension I am putting under my 32 Ford 3W project......The 4 bars are TCI and bought items.....everything else is fabricated ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-024S.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7851   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-019S.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	7852   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020S.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	7853  
Old 11-15-2005, 06:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree with Deuce. Most people will use the existing leaf spring suspension and just remove all the old mounting hardware off the donor rear. After all the extraneous crap is removed you can simply weld on spring perches (once you set the pinion angle of course) and you're pretty much done.

Swapping out the leaf springs for coil springs can be done but requires a bit more fabrication.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2005, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Ok, I think I understand what your saying. I can use my 99 coil spring rear but just need to weld on brackets to accept my 40's leaf springs, correct? I have a n.o.s. pair of 40 leaf springs. Will they be acceptable?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

I can't remember if the 40 has a torque tube or not. If it does, I definitely wouldn't use the stock springs. They were designed only to hold the car up, not to resist the rear end twisting under acceleration and braking. Even if it didn't have a torque tube, the strength of the twisting will be greater now that you have a modern engine and brakes. I am putting a Chassis Engineering kit in my 41. Modern leaf springs and components, tube shocks (I got the gas units), centers the wheel in the wheel opening, quality pieces, good instructions. IMHO, if you are going to go to all the trouble to convert to coils, you are better off to go all the way and bag it. I felt the CE kit saved me a bunch of time and money while still providing an acceptable ride. Not bag quality, but good enough not to outweigh the time and cost advantage to me. In the end, you will do what fits your budget and temperament. But do check out the CE kit. http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page27.html
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Thats a great link thanks, less fabrication. Reference the tube you mentioned, I was underneth the car and noticed the driveshaft is not visible so I guess thats the tube huh? This 1940's tech is pretty foreign to me. I have built a 72 Chevelle ,98 LS-1 T/A and have worked on cars since I could hold a wrench but this is new territory, so much to learn. My problem is I never took up welding or have done any major fabricating. Motor swaps,cam swaps,valve train,tranny etc etc isnt a big deal. This car just has me realizing I dont know jack!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
I can't remember if the 40 has a torque tube or not. If it does, I definitely wouldn't use the stock springs. They were designed only to hold the car up, not to resist the rear end twisting under acceleration and braking. Even if it didn't have a torque tube, the strength of the twisting will be greater now that you have a modern engine and brakes. I am putting a Chassis Engineering kit in my 41. Modern leaf springs and components, tube shocks (I got the gas units), centers the wheel in the wheel opening, quality pieces, good instructions. IMHO, if you are going to go to all the trouble to convert to coils, you are better off to go all the way and bag it. I felt the CE kit saved me a bunch of time and money while still providing an acceptable ride. Not bag quality, but good enough not to outweigh the time and cost advantage to me. In the end, you will do what fits your budget and temperament. But do check out the CE kit. http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page27.html
I wish I had known this before I built any one of the nine 40 to 48 Chevys I built with stock springs. Of course none of them gave me a problem either. Use Posie's springs if you want to change them, Modern springs that fit in the stock hangers.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.