Reasonably priced black base??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Reasonably priced black base???

Could someone suggest a fair priced black base. I'd like to use Nason Select-clear because I have lots. If I should stay with similar brands, how does Nason black base (non-metallic) cover, and is it fairly easy to shoot???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Yep you can buy spi base coat.. and it is as good as any you are going to buy anywhere.. you can top coat it with your nason without issue... also where are you going to buy a gallon of black base for 75 dollars? that is top of the line... it is not an economy line paint like omni or nason..

#2000-1 Black Basecoat - Gallon
$75.00

Southern Polyurethanes Base Coat
Old 04-08-2006, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

black seems to cover well even in the lower lines, and is one of the least expensive colors, but can have a shade of brown, blue, ect. Its usually pretty safe to use a urethane based clear over other lines of base, even if it isn't recommended to stray from one product. I haven't noticed any problems yet doing this and a do it yourselfer isn't going to get a warrenty from the paint manufacturer anyways. Barry K from spi seems like a standup guy who stands behind his products, has good prices, and willing to answer questions. I haven't had the opportunity to use spi products yet, as I haven't done any painting yet this year (having withdrawls) and don't do a ton of painting anymore. But with that being said, barry k is a contributor to this site, and you may say people recommend it because they feel they know him, but if it weren't a great product, I don't think so many people would continue to use it and recommend it. And do a search for blackest black, I know I seen spi recommended on a different forum then this as the truest black if that is what you are looking for and doing a complete. Get that thing straight before using black though.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 PM

I've read alot of good things about Southern Poly here, especially around customer service. I'd give it a shot if they carried an orange color. Seems they're pretty limited to color choices. Now, of course, if I decide to go black............
Old 04-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Last photo:

Yep, if I was going black it would be SPI.

Vince
Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, you can't beat the SPI price, I haven't shot the black yet but from what I hear it's one of the blackest blacks available. The lower line blacks are a brown shade most of the time. If you want to use the Nason clear over Barry's base and are worried about product compatability just activate the base with a capfull of clear hardener per mixed quart of color, this helps the products crosslink. Buy some SPI reducer at the same time-it works excellent in any urethane product, basecoats, primers, and for reducing epoxy...premium stuff IMO. Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Nason black covers good and it is very inexpensive.Around $20 a qt. I mix it 2:1 for two coat coverage. Don't forget the basecoat activator. Thats about another $20 for enough to do a gallon.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:47 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If the Nason Base is mixed 2:1, then you end up with 1 1/2 gallons of sprayable for about the cost of 2 gallons sprayable SPI Black. With the gallon of SPI at $75 and reducer at around $20 a gallon depending on the temp, sounds like, besides being a better product, the SPI is also a better deal money wise. I have used Nason in the past with no problems, but that was on cars that I was not keeping, as it is Dupont's lower level product. SPI doesn't have a lower level product.

Another thing to think of is tech support. SPI is second to none in that category also. If you have a problem or question, you can always call the owner of the company. I'll bet you can't do that with Nason!

Aaron
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

You dont have to mix Nason 2:1. You can mix it 1:1. If the color has a coverage problem (black doesnt) you can mix 2:1. You also need to factor in shipping cost and time with the SPI. I can go down the street to pick up some Nason. It depends on your circumstances. I'm not against using SPI at all.I would just hate to run short in the middle of a job and have to reorder.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:10 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Shoddy he wont run short with a gallon, Barrys base goes a long long long long long long long long long way... trust me I would know.. I have sprayed allot of it!!! a gallon was used on an 18' boat overall, a truck overall, and varoius other trim pieces and the like on other vehicles... that is some killer coverage regardless of who the manufacture is!!!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Spraygunworld has House of Kolor black base and reducer for around $125 w/shipping. 2:1 mix = 1 1/2 sprayable gallons.

Autopaintdirect has Valspar black base and basecoat stabilizer for $132 w/shipping. 1:1 mix = 2 sprayable gallons.

I would think the Nason would be very close in price.

You should have plenty of options to choose from .
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure if I can get SPI products here in Canada........can someone suggest a reasonably priced very black black that's compatible with Nason Select-clear???? p.s. I'd love to give the SPI black a try if it's available.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.