Rebuild a 6v genrator to 12v?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 02:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuild a 6v genrator to 12v??

Hello all, (Excuse my terminology here).

Looking for some information, a service or, parts to turn a 6v. generator to 12v. I know it can be done, there are places, catering to retired CEO's and their trailer queens, that will do it for $$$$. I'm on a different pay scale and I doubt those prices are justifiable.

I have a '52 Chrysler flat-head marine engine I'm tweaking from the bottom up. I want to upgrade to a 12v system, but, I want maintain the original look of the gen. It's also gear driven right off the flywheel...so,it's a bit weird.

Did some research and, I may wrong but, it looks like the only real dif that would make it a 6v or a 12v gen is the windings on the rotor and the stators. It must be either the number of, the length of, or the gauge of the wire... or .....

So I'm looking shop that dose generator wire winding or rebuilding to get to 12v. (in fact a starter shop might be able to do it. I can do the rest of the work, just need the windings,

Below, outside housing with stators inside and rotor. Purple and blue are the windings

By kroak, shot with Hermes at 2009-09-14

Any thoughts,leads or sugestion are welcome.

Regards, PK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

generator upgrade.

MY Model T Ford speedster generator is gear drive. but easier to do. I got a 12 V Gen from a 60's ford pickup. I had been told it was an easy swap of parts but it was more than I was told ... the shaft for the gear was the same size and length. I had to cut down a woodruff key to have a step. I lined up the 2 end plates with a deep socket wrapped with aluminum from a pop can , easier that turning a shaft on the lathe, then used the locations to drill and tap the end plate. the housing was almost the same size so i centered the 12 V housing on the T end plate bolted it tight then tack welded some 1/4 by 1/4 blocks to hold it centered. You might be able to just change the feild windings in your case. When they change a model T ford starter to 12 volts they just rewire the connections on the existing windings.. Like changing an elect motor on a table saw to run on 120 or 240 volts
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Last photo:

Yes it is possible to rewind that generator to 12 volt specs. The problem is that it is so seldom that it's done that you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will do it at a good price. On the other had I have seen alternators that look like generators made specifically for older cars. Here is one example.

Vince
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
MY Model T Ford speedster generator is gear drive. but easier to do. I got a 12 V Gen from a 60's ford pickup. I had been told it was an easy swap of parts but it was more than I was told ... When they change a model T ford starter to 12 volts they just rewire the connections on the existing windings.. Like changing an elect motor on a table saw to run on 120 or 240 volts
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks alot for the reply,

Relieved to hear that what I'm thinking about is not outside the realm.

Obvlously messing a bit withe fields would be great. Got a few electrical engineers in the family who could help sort that out...but I don't like them very much...I'd have to play nice, (chuckle) so if you can point me to some more info on that method I'd appreciate it. The only issue I see is with the windings on the rotor. That pic above is actually out of a '37 flathead. same basic deal though, The trouble is, the insulation on the windings is falling off like dandruff. But, maybe it could be painted over with some di-electric paint or something. And of course the one I'm actually using is 15 years newer (at least).

I'd go the other route without hesitation if I could find an automotive equivalent. I don't mind a little improvisation at all, got the tools and just enough skills. The trick is finding guts that can be adapted. The guys that do the get there hands dirty with these things don't own them and aren't sharing any secrets. I wish I could just see some pictures off some likely candidates an then try to get some measurements.

302 Z28 THanks, I'll take a good look at the retro generators.

Both good directions, thanks again, PK

Last edited by pk44; 09-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM

A generator doesn't know what voltage it is . all you have to do is use a 12 volt regulator , keep in mind that a generator is rated in watts not amps . So your 35 amp @ 6 volt will only be 17.5 amp @12 volt . And being a marine unit it is probably only rated at 50% of name plate , because unlike a car a marine unit does not get much air flow. I've done several of these and what you want to find is a 100 amp @6volt generator and set the regulator at about 20 to 25 amps @ 12 volt . And the easiest way is if it has an aux pulley on the back end of the motor mount an alternator .
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

Justold,

Thats interesting, something to think the about, amps, associated heat, and lack ventilation. These old woodys (mines a '35) have so little circulation they blow up, like a couple sticks of dynamite. A little fuel leak and and a spark from the starter is all it takes. Everybody who has one knows a little pre start-up mantra "lift and sniff" referring to the engine hatches and fuel aroma.

Anyway there are no pulley's at all. Not say I couldn't put one on, I thought of it, but there aesthetic and related financial reasons to keep the motor as stock looking as you can. (that's not to say innards aren't pushed to the limits)

But anyway, as far as the amps go, I did some goggling around and there was mention of just setting a regulator to 12. But that apparently will burn up the fields(?). You can however replace just the fields with ones designed for 12v., than turn up the regulator, sounds to easy but...

Regards, PK

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.