rebuild hay truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rebuild hay truck

hello im new here but iv got an old 78 chevy 3 ton tandom axle truck with a 427 stock motor . after i blew the the old piece of **** 97 ford f350 460 motor iv decided to go back with my old 3 ton . iv always wanted to make a beast hay truck but dont know wat i should do so i found this site . now on to the truck the motor was fine when i bougt the ford but just stoped usin it and when i wen to start it , it wouldnt so i went and bought a carb and it fired right up and its still as strong as when i left it but im going to replace it or rebulid it and iv always herd that a 427 stock would always out pull a stock 454 and i guess thats why they used them in the trucks but i was wondering wat kind of motor i should go with i mean im willing to spend 30000 k on the truck so wat ever block i should start with and work with i would like to know wat u guys think i was even looking at some merlin blocks for it but watever gets me a **** load of tq. so thanks for reading this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you want a buttload of torque, then let me suggest a Caddy 500.

The 427 isn't any better or worse than the 454. The 427 in your truck is most likely a tall deck (10.2" instead of the more common 9.8). The 427T as its called uses the same stroke and bore as the old-school 427, but the taller deck allows for taller pistons and four rings instead of 3. The 427 has potential, but the bottom line is; cubes are king. The reason people think 427s are so much more potent than 454s is mostly because of when they were produced. 427s were used in the late 60s muscle car era when HP numbers were grossly inflated, and 454s were produced mostly in the 70s and 80s with low compression for smog compliance. But, built the same way, the 454 will beat a 427 anyday because of the extra cubes.

There is no reason you can't make a potent performer from your 427. Just remember that it is most likely the 427T version, so anytime you are looking for intakes, pushrods, connecting rods, pistons, etc, you have to take the taller deck into consideration. A few parts are out there, but not as plentiful as for the "regular" big blocks.

The reason I suggest the Caddy 500 is because of its HUGE torque potential. In a well-tuned stock form, many of them put out 500+ lb ft of torque. Careful porting, cam choices, and other little bolt ons can easily push that to over 600 lb ft. I had a very mild stock rebuilt 500 with an "RV" cam, some mild head porting, and I was making an estimated 575 at the crank.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Its a tall deck block from the factory I think you can make up to a 540 out of the stock block.

Shane
Old 07-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
Its a tall deck block from the factory I think you can make up to a 540 out of the stock block.

Shane
502 is about as far as I'd go. 540s almost always require an aftermarket block with more room for boring. 60-over is about as much as you can get from a 427T. Plus without the wider pan rails of an aftermarket block, its tough to fit a super long stroke in there.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

No replacement for displacement..but then a stroker kit will set you back about 2000 or so and with machine work I would figure about 5000 total to build a big inch motor for that truck..probably need to start with a 454 block to get there..what saves you is that the small heads will work along with a stock intake as we won't be turning that motor that hard as we want to get the torque built by 3500 rpm or so..

By the time you get it done in a chev block I would get myself a 500 Cad and drop in there as those will give 500 ft lbs stock..and the adapters are easy to come by..

Sam
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Or what about a 12v cummins. A little wrench-turning and you're looking squarely at 1000 lb-ft.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

http://www.speedomotive.com/s-7-big-block-chevy.aspx
Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Or what about a 12v cummins. A little wrench-turning and you're looking squarely at 1000 lb-ft.
I'm thinking this person could also be the one that posts on here as Thumper_Pumper. His name and location provide clues.
If he is the same person as the above named then he outta be quite familiar with a high output Dodge Cummins.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you want torque in a gas engine, then go with a 455 olds, pack in a RV cam, a Q-jet carb, a set of headers and up the compression ratio to around 9.5:1, and you got all the torque you`ll ever need.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.