Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuild or junk Quadrajet?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy_1947 View Post
Nother question: Am I going to be able to modify the Q-jet manifold to fit the later model (1994) 350 cylinder heads (72 deg center bolts) ? Or do I need to start looking for earlier heads with the 90 deg bolts? This project getting convoluted. This 350 isn't same as when I started. New block, new crankshaft, tossed the TBI for Q-jet. New heads will make it whole NEW engine. (hey I got it cheap!) I value any help and ideas I can get on this, as I don't want to make this project a lifetime chore. Thanks : )
Yes, you can mod the early intake to fit the later heads. Elongate the bolt holes and fabricate (or buy) some washer/shims to compensate for the difference in the angles. This has been on quite a few threads here and elsewhere.

If you now have TBI heads (aka "swirl port", casting numbers ending in 191 or 193), changing them will cost a small amount of bottom end torque, but will gain you a lot of mid/top end by swapping to a set of Vortec heads. The Vortecs take a different intake than either of the other earlier types, though. And they use self aligning rockers and center bolt valve covers. But they out perform all other production SBC heads by a good margin.

BTW, I sent you a PM earlier that basically said you might find that trying to rebuild a carb that's missing parts isn't worth the trouble. But depending on what's missing, that's not always the case.