Hot Rod Forum banner

Which rebuild kit?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  leastbay 
#1 ·
ihave an 85 silverado with a 350.i need to get my starter bolt hole welded and retapped so i decided just to rebuild the whole thing. This will be my first rebuild. I have the HP rebuild book and have been reading it a couple months. Heres what i have block cast 3970010 882 heads performer rpm intake and 600 cfm edelbrock carb i also have a comp 280 magnum cam i want to use the xe 268 so i have to figure that into my budget. i have been looking at the summit rebuild kits with pistons but i really cant tell what is what what type of pistons should i use? im trying to get the most HP for my money. i started taking apart my motor yesterday and alot of the ports of the heads were almost totally clogged with what looked like carbon and sludge supposedly when i bought the truck the engine hhad only 50 thousand miles the tops of the pistons look kind of burnt and some of the valves on the heads are pitted the lifters look brand new though would i be able to get by with resuing these lifters on the xe 268? if anyone can reccomend me a rebuild kit for a decent price i would greatly appreciate it thanks

#2 ·
You will get new lifters in a master kit. NEVER re-use hydraulic lifters. The cast savings (?) has a habit of returning and taking a big bite from your wallet side.

First thing you need to do is have a competent machine shop look at those heads. There is a problem and don't be surprised if it estimates out well over $300.00.

As for a kit Northern Supply, PAW, Summit, JEGS. All market them. Stock kits contain pretty much the same quality parts.

On a driver such as yours, I would order a flat top piston kit with a cam delete (use your cam). A double roller t-chain, better oil pump (M55-A) and brass freeze plugs.

I used to sell a bunch of these and if you shop wisely there are deals out there.

FIRST DO THE HEADS. Then check for bore problems. If it needs bored, do it. Nothing worse than a oil burning rebuild..

#5 ·
If you are going to try to build some H.P., an aftermarket crank, P.M. rods, hypereutectic pistons, and a good balance job are good investments in a 350-400h.p. smallblock.

Take Bob's advice though, bore the block and start fresh. Oval cylinders and round rings will never seal adequately!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.