rebuild of my 355 twin turbo engine any input? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rebuild of my 355 twin turbo engine any input?

going to paste some post from my other forums so i dont have to type out the whole story again
Quote:
im having no luck something gave up the ghost in the engine today, dropped the wife off at work then drove to work and all was fine , had to run home for something at lunch time started the engine and i got a knock, its not constant with rpm or constant at all.

its a complelty random knock but it is very loud, im going to assume either the cam started to go flat or its pulling a rocker stud out and the engine is running a lil rough , oil presure is still good though

tommorow i should know what the verdict is , hopefully its just a rocker stud. 9am were going to tow it over to my friends farm and im going to tear open the top end of the motor to see whats going on

Quote:
didnt tow the car , i fired it up this morning and it knoccked one time them quit , so i started to drive it over , about halfway there it developed a constant knock that varied with rpm and then it stopped again so its in the bottom end ,

my friend has a ton od sb's laying around so he gave me my choice of 3 engines a sbc 400 and 2 sbc 350's

the 400 is a 2 bolt main with 882 heads needs a hone, rings and bearings
one of the 350's is a 72 truck 4 bolt main 350 with 993 heads which i cant find any info on

and the last engine has been sitting outside and is a late model 350 tbi truck 350 1 piece rms and setup for a roller cam , but has a flat hyd in it , the cyls were rusted from water getting in the ports. i filled the cyls with oil and it finally broke free were i could turn the engine over . that engine had one pin rod bearing but it only hurt the rod not the crank ,

im thinking of using the roller block so i can swap to a roller cam and snag one rod out of my current engine to replace the damaged rod . then ditch the swirl port heads for my ported 882's and reuse the forged speedpro pistons out of the current engine

any of u guys happen to know anything about the 993 heads
sdo i did some parts pricing and this is my thought provided my current .030 over bored 0010 block or crank isnt hurt

reuse the current block with a quick bottle brush hone for new rings
polish the crank and loosen the clearances on the mains and rods just a slight bit
upgrade the pump to a hp/hv pump
reuse my current speed pro .125 forged domed pistons ( domes have been cut and reshaped aprox 9.7-1 cr with a 76cc head witht he piston .005 in the hole)
comp cams XE268H cam with 1.5 roller rockers/stud girdle
reuse my mildy ported 882 heads except finish fully porting them
drop the ported tpi intake back on and swap out the 57 mm twin turbos for the pair of 61mm turbos i had purchased for the car

my other thought was to use the late model block and goto a roller cam but it needs an over bore and a cam for that is 300-500 bucks and this engine is being replaced by a fully built afr 245 headed sbc 427 sometime in the future

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 PM

the 427 sounds like a race motor.
any rebuild needs an extensive blue print to live a long life.Use all good parts,maybe buy a turbo cam if you go roller
Old 10-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
the 427 sounds like a race motor.
any rebuild needs an extensive blue print to live a long life.Use all good parts,maybe buy a turbo cam if you go roller

the 427 is pretty much a race motor , shooting for 1500+ hp with it with twin 72mm turbos , i ust happened to go way over budget with it and wont have the funds to finish it till after winter

the 355 in the car now is fresh and was properly built for the turbos i still dont know whats wrong with it , i never got a chance to tear it down yesterday,ust trying to plan for the worst

the idea situation is that my current engine can be fixed and swap out the summit 224/224 for the comp ex268

the truck engine my friend has came out of a running truck and ran perfectly he pulled it to sell it so droping that engine in complete is another option , though i was told the 993 heads are even more junk then my mildly ported 882's so id prolly swap the heads over
Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

turns out my steel charge pipe that comes off the turbos was hitting the steering brace.

since the car is in my friends shop im using this opportunity to swap on the 210cc heads , and swap out the sum 224 cam for a comp cams xe268

car should pick up a bunch more power with the swap

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.