Rebuild no power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuild no power

Okay start with basics its a 75 nova with a 327 started it and drove yesrterday.I comeout today and try to crank it and no lights no door buzzer and no engine start. So i though bad battery and replace it with a full charged one. I checked wires they all seem good. I can jump the starter but it sounds like it only spins the starter and dosent push it out to the flywheel? What fuse or what wire could be causing this. Starter is a mini torque gear reduction if this helps

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

I went outside and tried to softly wiggle the wire block on the fire wall nothing. I looked connections over again and nothing. Would anybody possibly know which fuse i could look for that would control all power. Could this be a ignition switch problem. Also does anybody know a 75 nova fuse panel layout, Any help or suggestions would be great. Also would it be safe to crank it by jumping the starter just to get it in the garage
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds to me like you have lost your accessory power.......Look on your firewall, I believe there is a block there which the 10 gauge red wire connects too.......This wire runs from the large positive post on the starter to this block. That wire also has a fusible link in it.....if you have no power at that block, chances are you have blown that fusible link. If you do have power at that block, you have a problem beyond that.....maybe the switch, but usually not.....usually a wire has corroded of.......It is 35 years old.

Budget RVs
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Thanks poncho, I am going outside and seeign if i can figure it out more. I believe its a lost wire that must have been burnt but now i am knowing where to look. I apprehciate it and will keep u informed
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Okay this is what i found power at battert and on starter stud. No power on altenator or fuse board. But i found the positive wire off the satrter had power leaving but lost power halfway thru so i checked after my wires heat shield tube and had no power so i pull those wires out and found a fusible link. I dont know how to check these but this seems to be where the problem is most likey. I wanted to ask yall before i started cutting into wires though
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Nova327,

This is the problem. For the sake of speed just cut the fuse-link out and connect the cut ends together and run the system without the link and see if things work again. If they do then buy a new fuse-link and install it where the old one was. BUT if this were my car I would put the link where I could get at it with ease.

Scholman(retired)
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Yes Father,
Just kidding but you do sound like pops. I will cut the link out in the morning and install a new wire there and a install a fuse link behind the valve cover! I will let you know if it works. Thanks much
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM

Nova327,

Hey good luck.

Scholman(retired)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Pontiac Pilot

I think I'm having the same problem with my Formula, or close too it anyways. I just got it back after a rebuild a few days ago, and the battery seemed to be dead. I switched batteries, and it eventually died. Maybe my alternators toast. After that, I tried boosting it, I got it to start but I had no dash lights, one dim headlight and no taillights. The morning after, I went to boost it and the starter only cranks a small amount. It just wants to melt the cable ends off now...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cknarf
I think I'm having the same problem with my Formula, or close too it anyways. I just got it back after a rebuild a few days ago, and the battery seemed to be dead. I switched batteries, and it eventually died. Maybe my alternators toast. After that, I tried boosting it, I got it to start but I had no dash lights, one dim headlight and no taillights. The morning after, I went to boost it and the starter only cranks a small amount. It just wants to melt the cable ends off now...
Sounds to me like you have a major grounding problem.....check all your ground connections

Budget RVs
Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Well it was the fuse link and I installed a new one and it didnt last long. So I check my altenator and it was grounding out on my valve covers. I have converted over to a Gm serpentine belt system on a 327 which left me little room to play off altenator stud and valve cover. I fabricated the valve cover inward which kept it from grounding out. I changed the fuse link to a little fuse tube. Makes changes much easier. I also redid both wires going to starter shouldnt have anymore problems for awhile I hope.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.