To rebuild or not to rebuild - Engine (and Tranny) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
What to write here?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To rebuild or not to rebuild - Engine (and Tranny)

Hey guys & gals,

This is probably a dumb question to most of you but alas, when I posted in on another forum, it rapidly broke more into a battle of how to make things faster and stronger without really answering my question, so I'm posting here, if you don't mind, for some honest answers. I did prowl around here in the boards to see if I could find something similar about rebuilds and 289's but of the 15 more specific I found, they didn't quite touch on this. And a general search turned up what was well over hundreds and hundreds. Yikes!

Anyway , as the Ranchero is being broken down for the bodywork, I have been asked if I want the tranny and engine rebuilt. I have one friend saying, yes, go for it. If I'm going all the way with the body work, not to go half-way on the mechanics. And another saying why fix what isn't broken and to just do a compression test, clean it up and add new seals or gaskets and fresh oil or whatever you do to it (Sorry, I can picture things; I just can't describe them well - it's been a while since I've touched a car). LOL!

The car has always run flawlessly, without a hitch, but has been in covered yet damp storage since October of 1999. It has just been started periodically over the last five years. I don't recall it seeping any fluids from anywhere. The odometer has flipped once and I can't remember if is 30,000 miles or 300,000 miles into it again. It could very well be the latter of the two numbers.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Kristen

I should add that I'm really just looking to keep the car simple and basic - a back to factory sort of thing. It's not going to be a trailer queen and won't get driven more than a few times a month.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 02:47 AM

if you have the money to spend i'd say go for it.one thing though,i don't know how long it will take to do the body work but if its going to be a while,you may want to get things set up with who ever will do the engine and trnny work but wait til the body is nearly done.usually if you carry your trans into the shop they will overhaul it and give you a 6 mth. warranty on it so you want it to coinside with the complettion of your body so your warranty doesn't run out while your're waiting.
it shouldn't cost that much to put an overhaul kit in it if its in good shape now and to go thru the heads.

if you have the money to spend i'd say go for it.one thing though,i don't know how long it will take to do the body work but if its going to be a while,you may want to get things set up with who ever will do the engine and tranny work but wait til the body is nearly done.usually if you carry your trans into the shop they will overhaul it and give you a 6 mth. warranty on it so you want it to coinside with the completion of your body so your warranty doesn't run out while your're waiting.
it shouldn't cost that much to put an overhaul kit in it and do a little clean up machine work and go thru the heads.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Rebuild

Doc here

I'd go all the way with it. At the very least, you will Know what you have, And how many miles are on it, and it will all come out fresh.

You really don't want some guy pulling the engine and tranny a year from now, on A Cream puff paint job, Ya Think? :

SEE WEBSTERS DEF: Ooopps!!...
SEE ALSO: "A little wax'll Fix ya right up...

You will also have the peace of mind that when you turn the key, it'll always run good, So as not to detract from your "look good " Going Down the road...

Nothing ruins a Nice looking ride with a primo paint job more than two Blasts of blue smoke out the back , Steam from under the hood..and fluids spraying all over the place while doing a slow cruise...LOL

Go For it!

Doc
Old 09-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would freshen up the motor with rings and a valve job, a lot of power is lost from normal wear and tear especially if the engine has more than 80 000 miles on it. If the trans work well and doesn't leak I would leave it for now.

A freshened up long block will works wonders and likely wake her up a lot, don't go nuts with a big cam/carb combination and enjoy the engines stock performance as delivered from the factory.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:58 PM
What to write here?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by GoneNova/406
if you have the money to spend i'd say go for it.one thing though,i don't know how long it will take to do the body work but if its going to be a while,you may want to get things set up with who ever will do the engine and trnny work but wait til the body is nearly done.usually if you carry your trans into the shop they will overhaul it and give you a 6 mth. warranty on it so you want it to coinside with the complettion of your body so your warranty doesn't run out while your're waiting.
it shouldn't cost that much to put an overhaul kit in it if its in good shape now and to go thru the heads.

if you have the money to spend i'd say go for it.one thing though,i don't know how long it will take to do the body work but if its going to be a while,you may want to get things set up with who ever will do the engine and tranny work but wait til the body is nearly done.usually if you carry your trans into the shop they will overhaul it and give you a 6 mth. warranty on it so you want it to coinside with the completion of your body so your warranty doesn't run out while your're waiting.
it shouldn't cost that much to put an overhaul kit in it and do a little clean up machine work and go thru the heads.
Thanks so much for taking the time to offer up your thoughts. Sorry it took so long to respond - it's been one of those long days. Hmmm...it's really not so much a money issue with me. My fear is that if I go to the effort to rebuild it if it doesn't need it, will it ever run as well as it did?

This is just going to scream "girl"...lol...but what is an overhaul kit? Never heard of it.

That makes sense that if I get it all done to wait until the body work is done or close to it. I'd have never thought of that and had everything started at the same time without consideration to the completion times and with my luck, I'd have a problem after warranty.

Thanks again for your time,
Kristen

Quote:
Originally posted by docvette
Doc here

I'd go all the way with it. At the very least, you will Know what you have, And how many miles are on it, and it will all come out fresh.

You really don't want some guy pulling the engine and tranny a year from now, on A Cream puff paint job, Ya Think? :

SEE WEBSTERS DEF: Ooopps!!...
SEE ALSO: "A little wax'll Fix ya right up...

You will also have the peace of mind that when you turn the key, it'll always run good, So as not to detract from your "look good " Going Down the road...

Nothing ruins a Nice looking ride with a primo paint job more than two Blasts of blue smoke out the back , Steam from under the hood..and fluids spraying all over the place while doing a slow cruise...LOL

Go For it!

Doc
Thanks Doc!

LOL...yeah, that all makes sense. Gosh, finding the right paint color for the car is nearly the death of me as it is (it was some factory special order that there is no record of that I can find)...I think I'd kill if something happens to it after the fact.

Thanks for taking the time to drop me a line and for the laugh - you have a way with words!
Kristen

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I would freshen up the motor with rings and a valve job, a lot of power is lost from normal wear and tear especially if the engine has more than 80 000 miles on it. If the trans work well and doesn't leak I would leave it for now.

A freshened up long block will works wonders and likely wake her up a lot, don't go nuts with a big cam/carb combination and enjoy the engines stock performance as delivered from the factory.
Oh boy...that engine has done 80 000 miles at least 12 times over already. Yikes! The trans was always good - the only thing that is somewhat trans related is it shifts from Park to Reverse on it's own but that's something with the shifter on the steering column and that's a gear thing, isn't it? Worn out from improper shifting or something like that? There is definitely no fluid seepage from either the engine or the transmission.

Freshening sounds a lot easier to swallow than doing a whole overhaul but I guess I'll never know until it's out of the car what it is going to take.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Kristen

Last edited by KristensRanchero; 09-04-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
This is just going to scream "girl"...lol...but what is an overhaul kit? Never heard of it.
No such thing a dumb question. Just dummies that don't ask 'em.

Overhaul/rebuild kits are all the parts needed to rebuild the engine put into a package deal. Like this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...04745&view=128

Larry
Old 09-04-2004, 07:47 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Re: Rebuild

Quote:
Originally posted by docvette

Nothing ruins a Nice looking ride with a primo paint job more than two Blasts of blue smoke out the back. LOL
Yea, that right is reserved for us guys with 305's.

Kristen the best thing to do would be have them both rebuilt.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 AM

trust me you will pat yourself on the back and give yourself a few ataboys for doing it right.your heads and motor will be like new maybe a small rv cam just to let people know theres actually something under the hood.maybe a new exaust system.and when your body work and paint are new and your stylin you'll have that seat of the pants feel from the motor.when you do it right it only gets better.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:26 PM
What to write here?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by coldknock
No such thing a dumb question. Just dummies that don't ask 'em.

Overhaul/rebuild kits are all the parts needed to rebuild the engine put into a package deal. Like this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...04745&view=128

Larry
Hey thanks Larry!

I get it now...it's an all inclusive thing. I was thinking like some sort of fancy add on package. <giving my head a shake now >

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet

Kristen the best thing to do would be have them both rebuilt.
Thanks! I think you are most likely right. Now to see what it's going to need....

Quote:
Originally posted by GoneNova/406
trust me you will pat yourself on the back and give yourself a few ataboys for doing it right.your heads and motor will be like new maybe a small rv cam just to let people know theres actually something under the hood.maybe a new exaust system.and when your body work and paint are new and your stylin you'll have that seat of the pants feel from the motor.when you do it right it only gets better.
Thanks Larry...you've just been wonderful with your help on this. I've kind of lost my confidence a bit here with all this car stuff. I've never stopped enjoying cars but I've gotten away from even doing so much as my own oil change in the last 10 years and now I'm kind of intimidated. I suppose it will return as time goes on. Anyway....thanks again.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: Re: Rebuild

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet

Now, Now...Ghetto...let's not bash our 305's Anymore than we have too... Just because when WE get on it, instead of "Growling" like a 350... It "Barks" like a homeless Puppy...Dosn't Mean it has to smoke...and at least mine is housebroken now...no piddling on the floor in the corner anymore... LOL

Quote:

I've kind of lost my confidence a bit here with all this car stuff. I've never stopped enjoying cars but I've gotten away from even doing so much as my own oil change in the last 10 years and now I'm kind of intimidated. I suppose it will return as time goes on. Anyway....thanks again.

So Kristern....

Are you Going to rebuild this yourself, OR ... have a shop do it fur ya?

OR... Do as My Lady does....

Who wrenches on her own car...well, sorta...Community property thing...(and we ain't even married..)She pulls it down, and the following takes place...<---insert sound of phone ringing here...

"Jeeze..Doc, I pulled the Caliper off the Rotor and all this "Stuff" Shot out all over...springs , pads, parts... "

"Think ya could give me a hand...foot... torso....to try to get it back together??....PLEASE....."<--- Insert Look of despair graphic on Doc's Face here...followed by the shower music from Psycho..

"Yes.. M'dear be over soon...with tools...and a magnet...Sigh..."

Inquiring minds want to know...

Time fur me Prozac and
Electro~shock Therapy now..
According to me MANSERVANT
KARL..

Doc

Photo:My 305 ...A 350
Clone Experiment Gone
Terribly Wrong..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 hours 20 minutes later .....jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2513  
Old 09-04-2004, 11:37 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

The 305 in my Caprice doesn't bark or bite, but the quadra-jet makes it sound like I'm doing 80 by the time I shift out of first at 40. Now if could match the speed up to the sound.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:37 PM
What to write here?

Last photo:

Re: Re: Re: Rebuild

So Kristern....

Are you Going to rebuild this yourself, OR ... have a shop do it fur ya?

OR... Do as My Lady does....

Who wrenches on her own car...well, sorta...Community property thing...(and we ain't even married..)She pulls it down, and the following takes place...<---insert sound of phone ringing here...

"Jeeze..Doc, I pulled the Caliper off the Rotor and all this "Stuff" Shot out all over...springs , pads, parts... "

"Think ya could give me a hand...foot... torso....to try to get it back together??....PLEASE....."<--- Insert Look of despair graphic on Doc's Face here...followed by the shower music from Psycho..

"Yes.. M'dear be over soon...with tools...and a magnet...Sigh..."

Inquiring minds want to know...

Time fur me Prozac and
Electro~shock Therapy now..
According to me MANSERVANT
KARL..

Doc

Photo:My 305 ...A 350
Clone Experiment Gone
Terribly Wrong.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, what Kristen would LOVE to do and what Kristen now gets to do are two different things. The original plan was I was going to muddle through as much of it as I could myself. Then the babies started coming along so it became a project of working on it with a friend of mine so that it would get completed in this lifetime. Then when my husband decided to leave us a few months ago, it has now become my friend's project and I get to "interfere" with it when time permits. I'm his parts and info finder for the most part. It sucks but eventually, I'll try my hand at doing up a car on my own. I'm leaning toward a late 40's to early 60's hearse. Such is life in the meantime.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:28 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

hey kristen, just go slow and start getting your hands dirty a little at a time eventually you will do more and more stuff and your confidence and ability will improve quickly. as for your drive train you have gotten pretty good advise. i would add that you should check with the local car (folks) and get the name of a good machine shop you can probably get the motor checked cleaned and even have them assemble the bottom end for you. if your just going to freshen up in stock form i don,t think it will cost an arm and a leg to have it done. if you rent buy or borrow a valve spring commpressor you can put the heads together with the help of a good rebuild manual. that would be a good job to start off with to get you going on the road to automotive independence. good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:20 AM
What to write here?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by helrazr3
hey kristen, just go slow and start getting your hands dirty a little at a time eventually you will do more and more stuff and your confidence and ability will improve quickly. as for your drive train you have gotten pretty good advise. i would add that you should check with the local car (folks) and get the name of a good machine shop you can probably get the motor checked cleaned and even have them assemble the bottom end for you. if your just going to freshen up in stock form i don,t think it will cost an arm and a leg to have it done. if you rent buy or borrow a valve spring commpressor you can put the heads together with the help of a good rebuild manual. that would be a good job to start off with to get you going on the road to automotive independence. good luck.
Thanks! I had planned on going to the Langley Cruise-In next weekend so I'll see if I can pick a few brains on some local shops and such. This is going to be a slow project so I guess I'm going to have lots of time to learn as I go.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.