Rebuild this old holley or use new edelbrock? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Psychomotors

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I'll take having to drain some fuel and be able to get parts anywhere, over the simple but can't get parts when I need them edel.
Says everyone,lol. I was just using those things as examples, not that they were the same thing. As I said, you will argue over and over. If I want a pain in the butt carb, I will pick the better quality Q-jet. Yes, I rebuild them and Holleys and Eddys. I simply don't care for Eddys. That's me and I have been working on them since you were literally in diapers . We could go on all day but it's really pointless because we don't agree. Let the OP figure out what he wants to do.

Advertisement

Last edited by TroyBoy; 03-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
Says everyone,lol. I was just using those things as examples, not that they were the same thing. As I said, you will argue over and over. If I want a pain in the butt carb, I will pick the better quality Q-jet. Yes, I rebuild them and Holleys and Eddys. I simply don't care for Eddys. That's me and I have been working on them since you were literally in diapers . We could go on all day but it's really pointless because we don't agree. Let the OP figure out what he wants to do.
maybe learn to quote the correct person..
Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Psychomotors

I quoted you because I'm agreeing with you,lol. I can see where that didn't come across right but,again-I'm agreeing with you.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Well, I see that this has evolved into the usual @#$%ing contest and gotten nasty - without really giving the OP and decent information. Either carb will suit his needs though I for sure would take a new carb, either brand over a swap meet kinda clunk that may have mismatched parts that for sure could end up costing a bunch more bucks when he was done
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Well, I see that this has evolved into the usual @#$%ing contest and gotten nasty - without really giving the OP and decent information. Either carb will suit his needs though I for sure would take a new carb, either brand over a swap meet kinda clunk that may have mismatched parts that for sure could end up costing a bunch more bucks when he was done
not really, I left 3 good links of reading..
I can't really talk much about the edel.. both that I've had never worked correctly.. they both came with the vehicles they where on, with no known history of them before my ownership(i.e. they were not new when I get to them) but I've done q jets so it wasn't that the different set up was new to me persay.. the 402 bbc no matter what I did either was eye watering rich at idle, or fine at idle but had no oats mid range.. bolted on a junkyard q jet changed needles/seats etc and it ran like a raped ape..

I leaned toward the holley in reply to the O/P as he has it, owns it.. it's fairly easy to rebuild, there is enough help between forums,utube,holley itself that he should not fear try'n to rebuild the one he owns, it be a lot cheaper than running out and buying a edel.. or sending the holley to a "pro".
if he had the edel in hand, and not the holley, I'd have said rebuild the edel..
but you have to look at things at all angles.. And I do..
you can't find edel. carb parts everywhere.. holley you can, just like finding q-jet parts at parts stores is totally hit or miss..
if that wasn't the case I'd advise he look at one also.. but because of the fact that you can get stuck waiting on parts with some units, unless you carry a few spare parts.. it can become an issue if you drive your junk allot.. at a cruise and have an issue, you have a better chance of someone having a holley part than anything else.. PLUS you'll get tons of help, as there be a ton of guys that know holleys backwards and forwards, edel's not so much, they tend to be on cars that the owner just wants to bolt it on and go.. not all but a good amount, same can be said about the holley, but there will be just as many that can tune one blindfolded..
I posted links and my reasoning of my thinking, the O/P can do what he likes, but better to have looked at all the angles, than just one of many..
worst case he rebuilds the holley, learns something, and if he doesn't like it,for whatever reason.. he put a rebuild kit (25)float(6) and maybe jets(4)carb dip/cleaner(15) and his time into it,, and can turn around and craigs list it, and get it all back.. as long as he saves the receipts.
Cause buying a shiny new edel doesn't = it'll run correctly out of box..
nor does sending the holley out. if the info given to the rebuilder isn't complete or correct..
so not a pissing match.. difference of opinions, yup.. everyone has them, and that's a good thing..
I've learned as I've aged to try to use what I have in hand, unless it's way out of line for the app..
I used to be the speed part vendors dream. I'd buy stuff just to have it/try it.. and how I ended up with a 750 qjet/800+ q-jet/edel/demon/baerclaw/holley vac 2nd/ dp/projection 2 &4/ oem efi installs.. and that's just screwing with fuel..
hopefully the O/P can take the good from every post and research, then make up his mind.. for all I know he might not want to ever rebuild a carb, so that part goes out the window.. Then it becomes down to sending out what he has, or buying new either edel or holley .
Honestly if the numbers really do= a 64-5 vette 327.. I'd e bay it with a photo of the date stamp and list numbers.. and use that cash to get whatever new carb he'd want.. as that carb is most likely worth 250.00+ as is to a vette guy that needs it , I'd slap it on ebay with a start of 250.oo and a reserve of 300.oo (using those numbers just to make the case, research what they are selling for on ebay before you list it to get a feel for what it's worth, so you don't give it away or over price it)and see what happens.. then buy whatever floats his boat..

Hopefully the links and my post looking at ALL angles is some help,along with everyone else's input as everyone looks at an issue/problem differently.. if not.. so be it..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
TroyBoy (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

Very simple. Get this, or, cut a smaller container to sit under the lower bowl to drain as you remove the bolt. nothing hard about that.
All carbs are good. You just have to know the short comings, and fix them.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Very simple. Get this, or, cut a smaller container to sit under the lower bowl to drain as you remove the bolt. nothing hard about that.
All carbs are good. You just have to know the short comings, and fix them.
or just the harbor freight cheap 4x6 magnetic parts holder to use as the catch can.. bonus is the magnet so you can leave it under the hood.. or after rinsing it out.. plop it on the trunk floor or tool box if metal..
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Or just use carb that doesn't have a gasket below the fuel line...

Any carb can be made to work, the Edelbrocks are a much simpler carb, but a holley can work and parts availability is better (though edelbrock hasn't been bad in my experience). Edelbrock's do have their own short coming's too- they work better on mild street cars but are a pain in the *** to get tuned right on anything with a large cam. They also have the problem of worn throttle shaft bores- not a quick and easy fix like it is on a holley.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
boatbob2

Edelbrock VS Holley...

Ive used both,both are great carbs,only thing I don't like about the Edelbrock is the outside gets dull or corroded pretty fast...the Edelbrock is easier to tune (in my opinion)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you can get them in endurashine or black if you want a little better looks. I've dealt with some bad ones in the past that I just got creative with painting on.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.