Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuild or Short Block my subaru 2.5DOHC
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Let me throw another step into the process.

In the last 4 weeks I have done 4 sets of head gaskets on Subaru 2.5's for myself and my co worker in and out with heads is 3-4 hours. Barring we have a spare set of 2.5 heads ready to install. Otherwise the base flattening takes a couple hours depending on the machine shop.

To pull this thing out it ll take me 45-1 hour. Its a VA car No rust and its mine, so its at work on a hoist in a heated shop.

The Short Block is a genuine subaru part. It is a Crank Rods and pistons assembled no pan, gaskets, oil pump. It was purchased at a dealer then sold to a non subaru dealer and left sitting hence no warranty I was told it is clean, and its only a few months old. Problem is subaru is sellign only short block hybrids, with pan pump screen and waterpump, techs' bolt on heads and go. they've been doing this for a few yrs now, and I am worried the guy is lying to me. (dealer wholesale cost for my yr is 2325)

THe rebuild is new pistons, bearings, bore, the works.

The Short is quick and painless.

I am leaning on the rebuild side because eventually I will have another one to do and I might as well learn on my nickle instead of a customers.

Also I have owned and sold 3 subaru's in the past ten days. bought this and another one to fix. Bought one needing head gaskets and sold it to my boss for a 750 dollar profit without doing anything.

I am on the fence Ironically my wife said i should build it and that she was fine if I did it at home.