Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuild vs Crate???
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just went through the same thing

I shelled the 350 in my '37 Chevy Coupe about 4 weeks ago. The oil pump failed and the distibutor gear failed, don't know why, never seen it happen before. Anyhoo, I had a similar delemma. Rebuild or buy a crate 383 SBC. Called a buddy and he recommended a shop here in Jacksonville, FL. Called and they told me that they charged $70 to tear down my motor and tell me what it needed. I was happy to oblige as I could do it myself but am way too time short to do so. PLUS, when I bought the car, I was told the car had a 383 and I wanted to know whether it truly was. SUPRISE!!! I have a two bolt main 350. Good news was that it did have some good parts. Forged TRW pistons, Trick Flow twisted wedge heads(67cc) and decent rods. It had a Comp Magnum 292 H cam which was also damaged so I simply bought a new 292 Magnum(LOVE the sound and it works!) The motor was thouroughly cleaned, crank reground, new bearings and reassembled . They checked my heads and they were fine. Bill was $1,150 for parts and labor(I supplied the cam). I added a new Hurricane intake and should end up with a 420 HP 350. So for me, I am happy and I saved about $1800. It is not a four bolt, but it should hold up fine for occasional strip and weekend cruises. Putting it in this week.