Rebuild worries... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuild worries...

I rebuilt my Cadillac 472... about 4 years ago. It has been sitting this whole time with everything covered in oil. The engine has NOT been started since then, only hand cranked every so often to make sure everything stays coated with oil/lube.

My first question is... for some reason I though it would be a good idea to fill the cylinders with oil through the spark plug holes. I then hand turned the engine (spark plugs out) to make sure they were nice and lubricated. Will I have glazing problems when I go to do break in? The oil is just conventional castrol.

Another thing thats worrying me and has been at the back of my mind is during piston install I accidentally nicked the crankshaft bearing surface. I was told by few people that as long as I sanded down the raised areas of damage that I wouldnt have anything to worry about. I did this using high grit wet sand paper. Is this going to be ok?

Other than that I had to take the intake and valley pan off to remove a mouse nest that formed... good thing I caught it! He snuck up in there from the open timing case and I saw a shard of his nest on accident. While im in there replacing the gasket I was going to dump a bunch of moly onto the cam shaft lobes. Good idea?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? This is my first rebuild and my first break in on my own. I want to make sure everything goes right.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM
boatbob2

Mouse nest !!!!!!!!!!

Hi,are you sure you got ALL of the mouse nest out of your engine?if so,should be no problem to pour your additive into the oil drain holes,BUT,i would continue to turn engine by hand,( this wont cause the cylinders to glaze,)until youre ready to install and start,at that time, is when i would add the additive, i would use the drill,and power lube the engine,thru the distributer hole (can do on SBC,not sure on caddy) should be no problem on the crank gash,as long as the gash is Smooth !!!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah the nest is all out. He made it right underneath the valley pan in the back corner!

I'm a little confused by what you mean on the additive? The oil I put in the cylinders was just castrol gtx.

As for priming I cut off the old distributor shaft and it can be put in a drill now...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I assume he's talking about a zddp additive (zinc). Modern day oil doesn't have it, a good idea for flat tappet cams, for break-in, along with cam moly coating.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I assume he's talking about a zddp additive (zinc). Modern day oil doesn't have it, a good idea for flat tappet cams, for break-in, along with cam moly coating.
Valvolene racing oil does, sold at Napa stores. You can get the break-in additive from Summit also.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm going to get a bunch of zddp off of ebay.

So... I shouldn't be too concerned with glazing the walls?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik
My first question is... for some reason I though it would be a good idea to fill the cylinders with oil through the spark plug holes. I then hand turned the engine (spark plugs out) to make sure they were nice and lubricated. Will I have glazing problems when I go to do break in? The oil is just conventional castrol. Thanks!
When you say "filled" do you mean till it ran out the plug holes? Or just a few shot's in each cyl?

If you did this 4 yrs ago, and put the plugs back in, I don't see any BIG problems but, if a mouse got in your lifter galley, so can humid air. That alone will cause rusting on bare metal surfaces and being you live in the N. east where it get's very cold, metal can attract moisture like a magnet. I have found my tools soaked in my tool box in my un-heated garage after a cold snap and then a warm up.
If you didn't see any rust while changing the valley pan I would say your ok to go. There shouldn't be much oil residue left above the oil rings in the cylinder more than normal that won't be burned off during first start up while your running the engine at 2,000-2,5000 rpm breaking it in.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Yeah I filled them up and at a later point turned the engine over with the plugs out to make sure they weren't too full.

As for rust the only issue I had is where the mouse nest was... the wadding it use absorbed alot of moisture and made surface rust where it was sitting. I removed all that and cleaned everything. The whole engine is painted and bare metal areas have been soaked with WD-40.

I can only imagine the smoke show... I burn straight motor oil in my cummins as fuel...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.