is it rebuildable? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

is it rebuildable?

i just aquired a year 2000 5700 vortec engine from a 2500 truck. owner swapped me for a box of ammo because i wanted the heads off it. he gave the entire engine. it had a intake gasket leak for about 2 months and he was driving it.(very very stubborn starting ) it developed a knock, the mechanic said the oil was dilluted and the engine was compromised. he had a backyarder change it out for a boneyard runner and this grungy old 150,000 miler was kicking around. i tore it down and the 6 and 7 connecting rod bearings were completely gone...clickity clack. there was 3 main bearings spun and the rear main bearing was in the proccess of shredding. the crank was toast.(measured 1.981 on 6&7 connecting rod journal) two of the 3 compomised main bearing journals had almost no metal left from the bearings on the cap side and a little scuffed on the block side with some material still left smeared into the block. pistons looked great and cylinders...they are a shame to waste! fuel injected cylinders are new to me! wow!. also to my suprise it has 3 of 5 main caps are 4 bolt main caps. i didnt know this about the vortecs. so i got excited and before i get my hopes of having a 4 bolt 350 on the somewhat cheap, is this normally something that can be rebuilt or is this junk pile fodder and a score on some vortec heads? i thought about wanting the lifters but they had some metal shavings in them...cleanable or crap?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

It's rebuildable, maybe.

The block will have to be checked for warp/cracks and how bad the mains are spun. Then decked, line bored/honed if it passes inspection.

Pistons will be junk as are the rods. Crank can be welded and ground. But none of this stuff is inexpensive $$$.. All four bolt factory blocks are four bolt on three center caps only..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Old & Furious

A lot of the parts you need are easy to buy as a 383 kit. But if the block needs line bored i would pass for a better engine. Bores probably need to be done. Low tension piston rings do help save the bores but they probably still need to be bored. If its gotten hot it will have eaten the bores up. Even of the look good.

Now the votec heads may cost more to rebuild as they are worth. If you got to spend 500 bucks to replace valves and guides along with port work and springs you could buy some better heads for that much money or a few bucks more.

It is rebuildable for sure replacing everythng is the best bet. It is also pretty cheap. So no big deal but before you order a single item take the block and have it hot tanked and magnafluxed to be sure its not cracked also have them measure it for you while its there. They will need th pistons to bore the block. I would let them setup the 383 kit as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM

i think ill oil and bag the block only, for a future 383. ill take my chances with the heads. guy said it was a good running engine other than the intake gasket then the knock. ill scrape down the casting marks and thrown em on my buddies older 350 that i just got for him.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.