Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rebuilding a 54 front end?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 04:33 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs up

First off conner if your going to use a smallblock you have to move the steering box if you use the stock one.(it wont clear the ex manifolds no matter which ones you use)I also have not seen to many powersteering kits i could recomend. Most give you problems mounting the front shocks and or bumper and limit your turning raduis on right turns(tire hits the steering box) On sway bars..by all means put them on..but do a little test for me ..drive it with them on and than disconect the rear one..i have done the last 4 trucks like that and the guys like the rear ones not hooked up(but now you just have to remove it not cut up everything to install it)...I thought they drove better myself but i used to race oval track cars so my driving style is probaley a little screwy. In the end i think you will have done better by using a kit to do the front.The monos do ride ok...not a big improvemnet but good.(if i were to replace brokin springs i would do it,but they are pricy) but start adding up all the parts to do it. I have takin more than one truck apart that had all that stuff in it. I think you must decide what you want from your truck first. Are you just going to go to your local show ??Are you going to get on the highway and drive the thing to events 100's of miles away?? Get a budget together than add 33% to it .But spend the best money on the frontend,it will not be wasted.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>