Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilding found 68' GTO Timing Problems
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilding found 68' GTO Timing Problems

Hello guys, My name is corey and this is my first post. Im a chevy guy at heart and this is my first Pontiac. Im 22 y/o and a senior in college for sculpture and design.

My father and I recently acquired a 1968 GTO. We think that the engine is a pontiac 400 because that is what the car is badged. We dont think we have the original block but know we have a pontiac v8. We got the car started by doing normal rebuilding methods. (changing spark plugs, rebuilding carb, etc) The engine initially ran rough, was backfiring, and didnt shut off when the key was turned off, it kept sputtering.

Rebuild

The first thing we did was replace the distibutor, coil, and spark plug wires. We bought an ACCEL distributor, wires and coil. We installed all of these and rewired one of the ignition power wires to the coil. The reason we rewired this was becasue the original coil required resisters, and a bunch of things bolted to the firewall. The original power wire we were told was a resistance wire that lowered the voltage as the current traveled through it. After all of these upgrades we were able to start the car but it still runs pretty rough. It starts up nicely but doesn't run right. When trying to time the car to fix the poor running, we would advance the time to 30 and the car runs better, but when turned off and turned back on, the engine just chugs and the distributor has to be retarded back in order to fire again. when at the recommended time of 10-12 the engine is miss firing which can be seen on the timing light and is back firing repetively.

So basically we dont know what the problem is, we think it may be the timing, or maybe the distributor is 180 out.

We got the engine to TDC by checking the height of the piston in the #1 cylinder, but we may have had it on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke. The rotor was pointing to #1 when the engine was timed, but we couldnt get the engine timed.

Any advice or questions about our build would be greatly appreciated.