Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilding found 68' GTO Timing Problems
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To verify it's on the compression stroke..... pull the #1 plug, place your thumb over the hole, bump the starter or turn by hand (I bump the starter) you'll feel the compression stroke, aline the TDC marks, pop the dizzy cap and verify #1 rotor position.

When you removed all the old wires, did you leave the wire going from the pos post on the coil, down to the "I" terminal on the starter?

When the key is turned and the solenoid engages on the starter, The "I" terminal goes hot and provides 12v to the coil.... while in the start position, after it starts and the key goes to the run position, the "I" terminal goes dead and the coil gets 9ish volts from the resistance wire etc......

The new system doesn't need the resistance wire, but unless you ensured the new wire you put in was hot in start and run..... and if you didn't leave that "I" terminal wire you probably are'nt getting 12v while cranking etc....