Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilding found 68' GTO Timing Problems
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for all your advice guys. In the mean time I have replaced the timing set, the fuel pump and the water pump. We got it all together today and when we started it to time the engine we had the same problems. Large advance to run smoother, back firing, and wouldnt start up again with large advance. We havent tried any of the tests you guys suggested. we will try some tomorrow and i will get back to you with the results. I have a feeling that the problem wasnt the timing chain, but its good to replace as the car sat for over 10 years. We have done alot of work the past few days and havent seen very much result. We cant figure out why the engine is back firing.

The engine is running quite rich which is causing heavy carbon buildup on the spark plugs. The dist. cap popped off and bounced around a bit a few days ago. Would these things be possible cause of our problems? Would some fresh or cleaned spark plugs a new cap and rotor help us out?? Thanks again guys