Rebuilding suspension from scratch, need help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM

Last journal entry: The death of Blue
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 17

Rebuilding suspension from scratch, need help!

My 54 Chevy pu is ready for the rear leafs and suspension, but there are problems. #1 is me, I'm a newbie and tried to think ahead on a lot of stuff, but rear suspension wasn't one of them. I never measured how far the axle was from the frame, ground, nothing. #2 is the original leafs on there were what you would use for a trailer nowadays, so I cut em off, mounts and all. I have these newly procured 78 Chevy pu 1/2 ton leafs and mounts, but I have no clue how to mount. Do I tack them on and put the rear diff in and see what happens? Also here is a pic of the way it looked before. I like the rear in the air, that's ideally the rake I want. Please have mercy on a newbie and help!
Zak

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bolt the leafs to the rearend and roll it under the truck
get it centered in the wheel well
measure a few different ways to make sure it is under there straight/square
and tack on the brackets
set the truck down and double check the measurements and how it looks
then finish welding it up
the shackle angle will also need some double checking, when the trucks weight is setting on it, before you finish welding

I really think it needs to be a little lower than it is in the pic
Old 03-24-2012, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

I've done this. The 78 spring hangers mount in the outside of the frame stock. The 54 frame is wider, so there is not enough room on the outside, also the front hanger interferes with the running board mount. So, you have to mount the hangers on the inside of the frame. This means you have to box the frame where the hangers mount, so you have a place to bolt the hangers on.

You need the measurement between the hangers on the stock 78 frame. To locate them on the 54 frame, the hole in the 78 hanger in the rear lines up exactly with the hole in the 54 rear hanger, and the front hanger locates the same distance forward as it was in the 78 frame.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM

suspension fix

i have a friend who has a 49 truck and he sat a 454 on a 85 S10 frame and set his 49 on it he said it was'nt to much trouble to work it out he did it all by himself in his garage then added 2000 gmc leather heated seats and now has really nice truck best of luck to you
Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 AM

Howd you make out with the new rear end install? I did a similar install to my wifes 49. I used a ranger rearend that is 4.5 inches narrower. I had to box the frame and install on the inside. Be sure to measure the axel/ spindle and make them the same on both sides so the truck rides straight without wearing the tires unevenly. Im sand blasting in a week or so and will post a picure. Hope yours is going well.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM

wow this is good stuff. Im just about to redo my rear suspension on my 50 chevy, so how hard is it to box and mount the hangers? Im new at this building thing and this is my first project, do you have any pics?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.