Rebuilding a T-350. Finding parts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilding a T-350. Finding parts?

how do you get a new pump ? how much are they ? do you rebuild them ? we have no tranny shop here in cornfield no where, i could own the market here if i could learn trannies and have a parts supplier hookup, but then theres no machine shop here that can do anything with tranny parts and such....

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I have a TH350 rebuild post with pics here:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53671

The transtar kits will work fine, but you need to be sure you get a COMPLETE kit.
You will probably order stuff you won't need, but as a first time DIY'er, you don't want to be halfway through it and need one small part, and not have it onhand.
It will require more shipping costs, more time, and you "lose your place".

After you've rebuilt a few, you can stop anywhere in the build and come back a week or weeks later and not have an issue, but for the first time rebuilder, I suggest keeping everything extremely orderly, and try to do it in a short of time as possible.

I have to run but can answer questions later.

Jake
Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

fast68,

I split off your recent post to a 3 year old thread.

Perhaps better / newer answers .

Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Crosley ok thanks

Jake how do you block off passages ? what do you use ? also how do you pull/remove bushings ? is there a shadetree way ?

that is a freaking awesome thread, i am in awe

what do you do about pumps and converters, you buy new converters or ? whats a good supplier of converters and bushing kits and such ? we dont even have a tranny shop here let alone any parts suppliers, out in the middle of cornfields

also did you make your compressor tools or are those bought ?

this page says to use 700r4 planetary in the th350 to make it a 3.06 first: http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0510t...sions_install/
is this really possible and have you ever tried it ? what all parts and modifications would be needed ?

thanks for making that thread and spending time helping ppl like myself out, thats awesome
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

You cannot use 700 planets in the Th350. While the parts are similar, and some of the parts are interchangeable, the planets themselves are not.
The sun gear is different for the different planetary pinion teeth, and unless you can design and cut an new sun gear...

You can buy a 2.75 low ratio planetay set from several vendors. While I like this gear spread in SOME cases, most cars don't need it.
I have used those gears in some Super Stock drag cars, but other than that haven't needed them.

My compressor tools are bought, you can make your own tools for some areas.

You can get away with using a couple of ~6" c-clamps on the direct and forward drums. I started out using those long ago when I "rebuilt" these things in the garage floor.

The low/reverse piston spring compressor is about $35 new, and they can usually be found on Ebay.

I use a universal cam bearing remover/installer for many of the bushings in the automatics.
I had the tool when I was building engines often and a cam bearing is basically the same as a trans bushing.
I still use it because I like the bushing being held by the rubber sleeve on the tool.
However it will only get so small.
On a TH350 you can barely get the sun gear bushings in with it.
The PITA on a TH350 build is the output to input shaft bushing. It is always worn, and MUST be replaced as it is critical to the lube of the planets.
It's a pain to get out, and you must be careful driving it back in.
I made a driver to drive it in.

The TH350 is rough on bushings, so it usually needs most of the replaced. Direct drum, output-input, pump, sun gear, input ring gear, output housing, etc.
I just replace them all whether they look decent or not.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
You cannot use 700 planets in the Th350. While the parts are similar, and some of the parts are interchangeable, the planets themselves are not.
The sun gear is different for the different planetary pinion teeth, and unless you can design and cut an new sun gear...

You can buy a 2.75 low ratio planetay set from several vendors. While I like this gear spread in SOME cases, most cars don't need it.
I have used those gears in some Super Stock drag cars, but other than that haven't needed them.

My compressor tools are bought, you can make your own tools for some areas.

You can get away with using a couple of ~6" c-clamps on the direct and forward drums. I started out using those long ago when I "rebuilt" these things in the garage floor.

The low/reverse piston spring compressor is about $35 new, and they can usually be found on Ebay.

I use a universal cam bearing remover/installer for many of the bushings in the automatics.
I had the tool when I was building engines often and a cam bearing is basically the same as a trans bushing.
I still use it because I like the bushing being held by the rubber sleeve on the tool.
However it will only get so small.
On a TH350 you can barely get the sun gear bushings in with it.
The PITA on a TH350 build is the output to input shaft bushing. It is always worn, and MUST be replaced as it is critical to the lube of the planets.
It's a pain to get out, and you must be careful driving it back in.
I made a driver to drive it in.

The TH350 is rough on bushings, so it usually needs most of the replaced. Direct drum, output-input, pump, sun gear, input ring gear, output housing, etc.
I just replace them all whether they look decent or not.
Your link and info on the Th-350 is awesome
really good info.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

awesome info

what did you make the bushing driver out of

howcome that truck site says the 700r4 planetary works in the th350 and how did they do it then ?

2.75 first gear ? that would be better than 2.52, hmm not as neat as 3.06, but...the cost wouldnt be worth it, i was only considering a deeper first gear because my 4x4 is 3.07 axle and the extra pulling torque from the 400sb would be great to have

hmm

i checked prices and wow this rebuild would cost wayyyyyy too much

a converter is over 100
a kit is over 100 and doesnt evne come with needed parts such as bushings and VB stuff

a pump is over 100

this is just too much

it would cost hundreds and hundreds

and taking it to a shop wouldnt do any good if i only wanted to spend 250 or so because i dont see them doing very much of a rebuild job for that cheap, i dont see shops doing full rebuilds for under at least 5 or 600 bucks minimum, with all the parts that have to be removed and replaced to do it right

are there billions of half done tranny rebuilds performed all the time ? am i missing something here ?

i am so confused.

?

i cant justify spending so much for just a basic rebuild, in which it looks like it would cost, just on my own, heck you can buy a whole TCI built up TH350 tranny for 625 bucks, so i mean... dang.. but id have to swap my 4x4 outut shaft into it.... sigh...

if i could find all my parts for around 250 or so then id do it myself

but that doesnt seem to be possible, unless i skimped on the converter and pump and so forth and didnt replace them and dint get a shift improver kit, or anything else either,

and if i do it myself or have it done then i would not want to skimp out on old worn out stuff such as these in which are VERY important components.

hum..

what does a person do ???

mine runs fine but its old and third gear is real weak and i dont know crap about the internals of these things, but im really mechanically inclined, i can put bottom ends in engines all day long i can disassemble and reassemble cars and trucks all day long, i can R and R rear axle internals just enough to get by, ive just about done it all, but not trannies,

what would you do if you were in my shoes ? am i the only one in this dilemma ? i cant possibly be,, surely i am not, its too bad that ppl on forums dont speak up much, especially about their personal experiences . hmm.

dont want a half *ssed tranny job, whether i perform it myself or not.. but i cant justify the costs, at all..

whats funny is that my stepdad had the th350 in his 82 k-10 rebuilt by a local trans repair guy jut before he closed shop and moved out of town, he only spent 250 bucks and he didnt do anything to the converter, this was about 3.5 years ago, it has been perfect no problem at all, i dont se any way in hell that he could have done much of a rebuild for only 250 bucks,, i dont see how it can be possible, but that guy really knew his stuff, he had a tons of business at all times and was a tranny genius, but he was tired of it and quit and sold off everyhging to do something new, detailing cars i believe, with his brother, which i found to be insane, you should have seen all the billions of tranny parts he gave me to take the shredder, it was 4,440lbs of it, i still have the scrap yard ticket from that day, i probably took in thousands of dollars worth of tranny parts, took the whole shop to the shredder, there hasnt been a tranny guy in this town since,

its crazy....

i appreciate

Last edited by fast68; 12-05-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

The $100 trans kit wouldn't contain a valve body kit, hardened sprag race, complete bushing kit, complete thrust kit, etc.

You can make your own valve body mods using the methods I covered in the post on NastyZ28.
You can rebuild your own pump unless it is damaged and save that.
I prefer to always replace the converter on a worn trans. On racing transmissions that are in good working condition but getting a yearly overhaul, we re-use the converters unless we find something suspect.

I charge over $250 labor to do a basic street strip Th350. It just isn't worth my time to mess with them if I can't make any money for my trouble. I also replace many parts and do labor operations that a normal transmission shop probably doesn't do.

You'll probably spend at least $300 on parts to do it yourself but if you take your time, you can get a quality rebuild that will last a long time.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
The $100 trans kit wouldn't contain a valve body kit, hardened sprag race, complete bushing kit, complete thrust kit, etc.

You can make your own valve body mods using the methods I covered in the post on NastyZ28.
You can rebuild your own pump unless it is damaged and save that.
I prefer to always replace the converter on a worn trans. On racing transmissions that are in good working condition but getting a yearly overhaul, we re-use the converters unless we find something suspect.

I charge over $250 labor to do a basic street strip Th350. It just isn't worth my time to mess with them if I can't make any money for my trouble. I also replace many parts and do labor operations that a normal transmission shop probably doesn't do.

You'll probably spend at least $300 on parts to do it yourself but if you take your time, you can get a quality rebuild that will last a long time.
I'm not sure that statement rings true, that you think a normal shop wouldn't spend extra time on a so called performance rebuild, 250 bucks labor is too cheap for a performance rebuild at my shop. but a 350 isn't a hard unit to build in the first place.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

airworld,
I am speaking of a normal trans shop building a Th350 for $250-350 dollars... You know as well as I that that isnt going to be a quality job. The parts would likely cost even a high volume trans shop more than half that.

My overhead is low as my shop and tools are completely paid for. I only have to pay for my electric.

However,
Most trans shops probably dont machine apply pistons, pressure plates, etc.

Im not suggesting that a quality trans hsop doesnt do good work, just that it doesnt come cheap.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

350 rebuild ?????

Jakeshoe... IMO ,You gave enough info to take the ball and run with it
I asked local shops about the mods and they said it would be 150.00 bucks extra.
Basic rebuild in Tacoma,Wa for TH-350 is 249.99 plus 8.9 %tax
with mods Jakeshoe mentioned is 399.99 plus 8.9 % tax
TH-350 Converters cost 99.00 plus tax here
Prices are fair for the time involved.

I called four area shops
These were the cheapest
Some wanted more.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Between 11 and 1500 here for a rebuild.

700's are 1700

4L60E are 2000 unless you want a cooler installed, then it's 2500.

I can't imagine that cost of living is that much different.
We also have 6 tranny shops in a town of 100,000.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I did my 350 last year with all Transtar parts and had LESS then 250 including converter, hardened sprag, one drum, full master kit, rebuilt pump, shift kit, filter and a few other minor upgrades. Still working perfectly. I used whatever I could find for bushing drivers: sockets, wheel bearing race drivers, you name it. Made a low/reverse compressor with some all thread the a piece of 3/4" by 1" Oak to span the retainer. A pain, but it worked. Did not have to buy one tool, but it was a chore at times too.

Mark

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.