Rebuilding top end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 28
Posts: 1,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 99
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Rebuilding top end

I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.8 v6. The car has 298,xxx miles on it. Recently I've been losing antifreeze somewhere internally, I don't see it leaking externally. I was contemplating rebuilding the top end. When I told the guy at the machine shop what I wanted to do he said in his experience with that many miles after rebuilding the top end the piston rings like to come unseated and sometimes break due to the additional compression and the top end being more efficient. Does anyone agree with this? And is there any way to check if its just the intake gaskets giving me the problem without tearing it apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
yes, they are not lie'n to you..

the lower end with 300k on it, will now have like new top end, and will suck oil right passed the rings , the rings may not break.. but it won't matter.. it's smoke like a bas__rd..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 7,953
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 218 Times in 207 Posts
Your machinest is full of S....T.

That is a lot of miles. But those engines are not hard on rings or valve train parts. Aside from pressure testing and milling the heads, HAS TO BE DONE.. A valve job/seal replace will help excessive oil usage. As long as coolant is kept out of the oiling system. I've seen the short blocks on these go many many miles. It's the intake/head gasket problems that kill these engines. Or in this area of the country the trans goes or the engine cradle rots out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,437
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 331 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.8 v6. The car has 298,xxx miles on it. Recently I've been losing antifreeze somewhere internally, I don't see it leaking externally. I was contemplating rebuilding the top end. When I told the guy at the machine shop what I wanted to do he said in his experience with that many miles after rebuilding the top end the piston rings like to come unseated and sometimes break due to the additional compression and the top end being more efficient. Does anyone agree with this? And is there any way to check if its just the intake gaskets giving me the problem without tearing it apart?
If it's leaking internally you should see it in the oil. A pressure test of the colling system is in order to see if the system is actually leaking, if it is it won't hold pressure. A 2002 would have DexCool, this stuff can and does attack gaskets as it ages and runs out of buffers.

Before tearing the heads off a leakdown test would give an idea as to how good the rings are assuming the valves hold pressure.

Too a general extent what you mechanic is saying is that when the top end is restored to an old engine with worn pistons, rings and cylinder walls that often the result of restored pumping actions above the piston will pull oil around the worn parts and will allow more blow by into the crankcase. This depends upon the wear on those parts. If the engine isn't an oil burner today chances are good you can do the top end without introdcing any new problems. If it passes a leakdown test I don't think I'd do anything but chase and repair the coolant leak. Today's engine valves have special treatments on them that refacing the seats take off, once removed their life span will be shortened and you'll be back into the engine again and again for repairs or replacements. So I'd be cautious about just fixing things that don't necessarily need fixing because we used to do these things as a matter of course a few years ago, much has changed in recent times.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 28
Posts: 1,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 99
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
I just changed my oil Sunday and let the oil sit in the drain pan overnight and didn't see any antifreeze/water in the pan. Can someone explain to me or give me a link of how to do a leak down test on the cooling system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mora,MN
Posts: 405
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've heard this old wives tale for years. even had a shop owner ask me not to do "too" good of a job on a head rebuild citing that very reason.
i have not yet seen any evidence of it being true.
if you think about it, i can understand where that's coming from, but again, I've never seen any proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,437
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 331 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaintoast View Post
I've heard this old wives tale for years. even had a shop owner ask me not to do "too" good of a job on a head rebuild citing that very reason.
i have not yet seen any evidence of it being true.
if you think about it, i can understand where that's coming from, but again, I've never seen any proof.
Way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was going to college, I worked in an all night shop in San Luis Obispo. I drew a job one night to do a top end rebuild on a high mileage 55, 265 Chevy. When I got the heads off I could see the pistons moved about as much sideways as they would up and down. I told the foreman that the engine was shot and doing a top end would just make an oil burning, smoker even worse. He said to just get on with it which I did, buttoned it up early in the morning hours took it for a test drive. It left a thick cloud of oil smoke for several miles. I took it back and wrote up a report sheet that basically said rebuilding the top end only made its smoking habit worse. Next day it was gone. Day after that it was back in my stall with instructions to pull it apart and rebuild the bottom end. Did that with an overbore, new pistons and rings, new bearings, etc. Put the heads back on fired it up no smoke no oil consumption beyond what you'd expect for breaking in the rings.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mora,MN
Posts: 405
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I was going to college, I worked in an all night shop in San Luis Obispo. I drew a job one night to do a top end rebuild on a high mileage 55, 265 Chevy. When I got the heads off I could see the pistons moved about as much sideways as they would up and down. I told the foreman that the engine was shot and doing a top end would just make an oil burning, smoker even worse. He said to just get on with it which I did, buttoned it up early in the morning hours took it for a test drive. It left a thick cloud of oil smoke for several miles. I took it back and wrote up a report sheet that basically said rebuilding the top end only made its smoking habit worse. Next day it was gone. Day after that it was back in my stall with instructions to pull it apart and rebuild the bottom end. Did that with an overbore, new pistons and rings, new bearings, etc. Put the heads back on fired it up no smoke no oil consumption beyond what you'd expect for breaking in the rings.

Bogie
i wouldn't really consider that proof would you?
to me it sounded like the lower end was already bad. i think the op was referring to the top end rebuild causing the lower end to have problems.
or maybe i just misunderstood your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 28
Posts: 1,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 99
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Anyways, the engine runs great just have to keep adding coolant and not really sure where its going. I read somewhere about putting a balloon or rubber glove on the filler hole of the radiator and cranking the engine over and if the balloon blows up then you have combustion pressure going into the cooling system. This sounds kinda froggy, need citation? Bogie, could explain how to do the test you were talking about earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 7,953
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 218 Times in 207 Posts
The 3.8 engine was a GM wonder. They toyed with this motor, changed things for many years. Untill it started lasting too long. Then it was discontinued.

As stated they last many miles. Most are just getting broken in at two hundred thousand.. Most never see more than 3200 rpm. Cruise at under 2000 rpm. The only problems they have is intake plenums/gaskets and head gaskets. Usually at higher miles. This example probably spent a lot of time on I-75 and I-94 racking up the three hundred thou miles in comfort.

These are not 56 Chevrolet engines. They don't have fancy coatings on the valvetrain. It is just GM got it right, finally. Thin rings that don't beat up the ring lands, conform to the cylinders better. Light weight valves and springs. Positive oil controll seals. Fuel injection and OD tranny.

You will usually find the leak is on the back head. Drivers end. Between the coolant passage and the fire ring of the last cylinder. It Brinnells into the casting from heat cycling. Usually only leaks, into cylinder, at running temp at higher speeds.
You can have any auto repair place put a tester on the cooling system. You may be able to rent/borrow a tester from a chain auto store.

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 11-01-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 28
Posts: 1,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 99
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Yes, the majority of miles were put on the car on the highway cruising at seventy five-eighty with the cruise set most of the time. Maybe I'll just pull into a shop and let them diagnose it. Even if they charge me an hour labor it could be worth it over chasing and hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,437
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 331 Times in 288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaintoast View Post
i wouldn't really consider that proof would you?
to me it sounded like the lower end was already bad. i think the op was referring to the top end rebuild causing the lower end to have problems.
or maybe i just misunderstood your post.
No, not a cause; but rebuilding only the top end made a bad situation way worse. Now there was no ignoring the total situation it all had to be fixed or scrapped.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Thats not a hard engine to find get a runner from the junk yard and go. Forget rebuilding it. Not even the dealer wants to rebuild them. Just replace the lump. My local junk yard has ok shop and will install his engines and gurantee the engine for good amount of miles. Not a bad deal if your stuck. At 300k it will cost a crap load of machine work to get right you could get a good runner alot cheaper. Even if you want a new or performance rebuild dont start with the 300 k engine it cost more than a junk yard motor with 100 k on it and only needing bore and simple machine work to be road worthy. Your curent motor is toast. It will need everything once you take it apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 28
Posts: 1,420
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 99
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
The engines not toast, it runs great, never have to add oil. The car has been really good to me. I took the car to a shop and he ended up tracking it down to some thermostat bypass elbow or something like that. So no internal leaks! Two bills later and a huge sigh of relief and I'll be back on the road with my trusty car, wouldn't trade it for a brand new one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
The engines not toast, it runs great, never have to add oil. The car has been really good to me. I took the car to a shop and he ended up tracking it down to some thermostat bypass elbow or something like that. So no internal leaks! Two bills later and a huge sigh of relief and I'll be back on the road with my trusty car, wouldn't trade it for a brand new one!
Sweet deal glad to hear it running good. Just saying if your going to go into the motor at 300k miles you will be in for major over haul. I wouldnt trash the car but if motor goes a replacement is usally the best bet. Unless going for bigger power or its a newer engine with a fault like bad seal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mid 70's bottem end, 1990 top end, 90 water pump...overheating!!! erickmi Engine 4 01-24-2010 07:51 AM
Great Low-end but poor Top end juiced66malibu Engine 10 09-11-2005 10:17 PM
rebuilding a T-Top camaro JH30906 General Rodding Tech 0 04-19-2003 07:54 AM
rebuilding rear end? tonylsg Engine 2 02-17-2003 10:52 AM
rebuilding a 54 front end? Conner Suspension - Brakes - Steering 10 04-29-2002 06:54 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.