Rebuilt 302 having problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilt 302 having problems

Hi all,

Well right now I have a Ford 302. It has been cleaned up and put back together. It has a new sealed pro cam, edelbrock rpm heads and manifold. An MSD ignition 6A and Dist. I run a Holley 670 CFM carb on it. It has almost 100 miles on it but i have to current problems.

First problem is its ticking and i have adjusted the lifters twice. I got a stethoscope to pin point the location and its hard to really narrow it down. I know its not the exhaust because the bolts are tight and i see no blow by indicating a leak. Plus the gaskets are new. Im using Scorpion Rockers and i followed the directions. They are hydraulic lifters by the way. Any ideas?

Second Problem is it misses. The timing im sure is up to about 10. I took it to an old mustang guy who tunes these things by ear. He didnt a good job because it runs better then it did but i did notice when i pulled the spark plugs out again to mess with the lifters they were a little white on some of them (the tips). Someone from holley said timing should be 10 to 14 but that sounds like way to much timing to me. Cant that hurt the car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays!

Justin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsavage67
Hi all,

Well right now I have a Ford 302. It has been cleaned up and put back together. It has a new sealed pro cam, edelbrock rpm heads and manifold. An MSD ignition 6A and Dist. I run a Holley 670 CFM carb on it. It has almost 100 miles on it but i have to current problems.

First problem is its ticking and i have adjusted the lifters twice. I got a stethoscope to pin point the location and its hard to really narrow it down. I know its not the exhaust because the bolts are tight and i see no blow by indicating a leak. Plus the gaskets are new. Im using Scorpion Rockers and i followed the directions. They are hydraulic lifters by the way. Any ideas?

Second Problem is it misses. The timing im sure is up to about 10. I took it to an old mustang guy who tunes these things by ear. He didnt a good job because it runs better then it did but i did notice when i pulled the spark plugs out again to mess with the lifters they were a little white on some of them (the tips). Someone from holley said timing should be 10 to 14 but that sounds like way to much timing to me. Cant that hurt the car? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays!

Justin
Exactly which 302 is this, they sometimes vary a lot year to year as to what's in them. Are the rockers adjustable or the type that screws down to a stop?

What did you do to break-in the cam. These days you have to use the proper break-in lube at the proper RPMs for the proper amount of time or the cam and lifters are quickly toast?

Whose lifters?

Initial timing ties into to total timing, too much initial will give too much total, you'll hear from the engine if it doesn't like it. Still, unless this is a real high strung, high compression engine, a little detonation probably won't harm anything if its over a very short period of time, but if you keep it that mode for a while something will come apart.

I don't know about the plugs, if most of the insulator is getting dirty and only the tip around the end by the wire is white, then it's pretty normal. If the whole insulator is stark white perhaps with silver blotches, then there's other problems from too hot a plug, to lean carburation, to excessive ignition advance, to a miss-timed camshaft.

Bogie
Old 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM

This is a 68 302 and the rockers are adjustable. Its a stud set up. I know i broke the car in right. The cam was pre lubed and i pre lubed the whole engine before starting. Did about 2500 rpm for a good 20min to 30min. I also varied the speed when i drove it the first time. It doesnt miss in park it just misses when i get the rpms up is when i notice. Like close to 2 grand. Oh and as for lifters i believe they are melling

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.