Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilt 350 won't start
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukas84
I am a noobie to engine rebuilding. Read a lot of books, watched videos, and read forums on rebuilding engines. Got a used 350 2 bolt and rebuilt it, new pistons, vortec heads, cams, intake. Reused distributor,Carter carb, mechanical fuel pump from my 305 engine. Now engine won't start. It will crank and sounds like it wants to start. Once in a while it will start, spike to about 4,000 RPMs and then die. If I play with the gas nothing happens. I think it is a timing issue. If I turn the distributor clockwise it just cranks. If I turn it counter clockwise then it sounds like it wants to start, but I maxed out on how much I can turn it. Reset the distributor and no matter which way I turn the distributor it still doesn't start, but it still sounds like it wants to. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this. Thank you for your help in advance.
Sounds like you may be a tooth off maybe. As turning it CCW advances the timing and you said this is where it almost started. If you want to prove it you can move the wires 1 hole clockwise if you dont feel comfortable moving the distributor. This is not my recommend way to fix it but it is an easy way to prove the issue. You can use Cobalts method to find tdc and look under teh cap to see where the rotor is pointing or you can pull #1 plug put your finger ocer the plug hole and bump the key until it blowsur finger your finger off the hole then bring up the timing mark by hand. Then check the rotor to see where it is pointing. On some cars pulling the valve cover can be a task.

Chet