Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilt 4L60E, having issues.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilt 4L60E, having issues.

I have rebuilt several of these and usually have good results. I take my time and check everything. The one I just built came out of a 93 Z71. It had the 3-4 clutch burnt up in it. This trans had been gone through before about 10 years ago the owner told me. I found a few shady things on tear down, missing screens, wiring harness clips broke, and the main plug silliconed into the case.

I did a lot of upgrades to this trans because the owner pulls a heavy trailor,

8 Clutches in 3-4
Sonnax Heavy pump slide spring
Sonnax .490 boost valve
Sonnax super hold 4th servo
New transgo sep plate
Plastic check balls
Sonnax pinless 1-2 3-4 and froward pistons
Beast shell
29 elemet double cage sprag
Sonnax check ball capsule for 2-3 shift
Had the pump resurfaced
New seal kit
New wiring harness
New converter

All the clutches besides the 3-4 were in good shape so I left them in. The only thing I did that I normally do not do is used the angle cut teflon seals (700R4) style on the pump stator that seats in the reverse input drum. I also used cut seals on the input shat. But, they are a newer style that have a notch interlocking type cut.

Anyway the trans seems to slip intermintent in reverse. It does drive forward but does not shift into 3rd. I can brake tourqe it in OD and it will chirp the rear tires. Sometimes it will brake tourqe in reverse. I put a pressure gauge on it and it showes about 65-70 psi at idle. It does not raise much if any in reverse. In OD it will jump way up to 200 or more if I brake tourqe it. The other wierd thing is in park it acts like its in gear, the engine will not rev like its in P or N. I have never seen one do this, I checked the linkage under the truck and its right.

I air checked all the clutches when I put it together and everyting seemed fine. I know the low reverse clutch is holding good because with a rubber tiped nozel it checks good, turns on and stay on until I remove the nozel. I am thinking a problem in the reverse input drum, cut lip seal during instal or the angle cut stator shaft seals to the reverse input drum. Any other ideas?