Rebuilt 700r4 with a 2800 stall shift problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilt 700r4 with a 2800 stall shift problems

Here is my situation I have a 1986 Iroc-z with a 1970 nova 350 motor in it and a rebuilt 700r4 with a 2800 stall also no computer in the car anymore.... now here is where i need advice please my tranny has like hesitated shifts and shifts roughs but when i really get out her she shifts better... I do not understand why? Is it cuz the computer is gone and the tranny has no brain behind it? any ideas please?

Also I read somewhere about wiring a 12v switch to the electric plug on the tranny... would that do anything?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Also there is a 2800 stall on the transmission
someone please reply and help me
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
Also there is a 2800 stall on the transmission
someone please reply and help me
Prolly the one most important aspect of using a TH700R4 in a non stock application is to get the TV cable actuation correct (the trans can fail quickly w/o this being done). This should be done before any other adjustments are done other than having the right amount of ATF in it.

There are many articles on this, like here (left side of page under "INSTALLATION GUIDES", depending on what carb you're using. You can use the google custom search engine at the top of the page for more info on TV cable adjustment.

The 12V switch is for the torque converter lock up.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen
Here is my situation I have a 1986 Iroc-z with a 1970 nova 350 motor in it and a rebuilt 700r4 with a 2800 stall also no computer in the car anymore.... now here is where i need advice please my tranny has like hesitated shifts and shifts roughs but when i really get out her she shifts better... I do not understand why? Is it cuz the computer is gone and the tranny has no brain behind it? any ideas please?

Also I read somewhere about wiring a 12v switch to the electric plug on the tranny... would that do anything?

Thanks
I'm not a tranny expert but I will share what I do know about these tranny's. If it's a 700r4, not a 4L60E, then you don't have to worry about the computer. These transmissions have a Throttle Valve Cable that are usually mistaken as a detent cable and are usually the problem. It is CRITICAL that this cable is adjusted properly or you will be rebuilding that thing in a matter of miles. Your older model 350 probably doesn't have the right bracket on it to adjust this cable right, geometry will be slightly off if using a TH350 detent cable bracket which that '70 Nova most likely had. I would find a bracket off a early 80's car or truck that has a 700r4 and was carbureted. Also, your carburetor MUST have the proper linkage to run this tranny as well. What type of carb is on it? You can buy an adapter that install's on Holley's but I'm not sure other makes. I would imagine they have to have something. Once you have the proper bracket's and linkage I'm sure we can help walk you through the actual adjustment of this menacing trans. Geometry is important! Be patient with it though, they burn up quick if not adjusted right. Hope this helps.
Just noticed Cobalt beat me to it, not a fast typer, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks
I just ordered brackets needed for tv cable for my carb to hook up correctly and a new tv cable so we will see what happens.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.