rebuilt 700r4 doesn't work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rebuilt 700r4 doesn't work

I have installed a complete rebuilt 700r4, with new converter in my 3 years project 1984 Chevy C-10. I fired up the engine for the first time about 2 weeks ago, but had not tested the trans at any gear because still need to work on the brakes. Yesterday I worked on the brakes and when done I set my transmission on Dr...nothing happen, I engaged all other gears and nothing work. I spoke to the guy who sold me the transmission and he asked me to check if the converter was bolted to the flywheel, he said if this is not the problem I must check if the filter was in place or has fall. I was sure I had bolted the transmission to the flywheel but checked anyway, as I did with the filter which was perfect in place. Here comes my question, I am not a transmission technician, is at all possible that flange on the torque converter housing did not engage with the trans oil pump even the transmission attached without any problem to engine?
Thank you guys for your answer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Did you bolt the torque converter to the flex plate first before the install of the trans onto the engine?

Was the trans full of fluid during engine fire up operation?

post back when you can.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Crosley, my converter was bolted to the flywheel after transmission had been bolted to engine. Transmission had the fluid when engine was fired up.
Luis
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Did you have to slide the torque convertor forward a bit to meet the flywheel? If not it may not have been engaging the trans fluid pump properly. The pump may be ruined now. Don't ask me how I learned about that.....LOL.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Ernkazern, I met transmission to engine about 2 months ago and I do not remember if I had to move the converter fwd a bit. Tomorrow I'll try to loose converter bolts from flex plate and see if there is some play between them.
Thank you for your reply,
Luis
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There is suppose to be a gap between the torque converter and the flexplate when the engine and trans are bolted together.

That gap should be a 1/4 inch or less.

I would install a pressure gauge onto this 700 trans. THe main pressure port is on the drivers side.. near the manual shift linkage.... it is a threaded plug just above the linkage area
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Crosley's standard of 1/4 inch of clearance sounds reasonable. I never measured the clearance, but there should be a noticeable amount.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

I didn't tell you that when I checked the fluid level at idle speed, selector in Parking, fluid was very high, having 11 qts inside. This made me think that the pump is not working. I am planning on taking the bolts off the converter/flexplate to check if there is this 1/4 " gap if allows to move back and fwd, but is a way to know if my pump was damaged?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu42
I didn't tell you that when I checked the fluid level at idle speed, selector in Parking, fluid was very high, having 11 qts inside. This made me think that the pump is not working. I am planning on taking the bolts off the converter/flexplate to check if there is this 1/4 " gap if allows to move back and fwd, but is a way to know if my pump was damaged?
unbolting the torque converter will not indicate pump damage

The way to check for pump damage is to remove the transmission from the vehicle for disassembly and inspection of the pump.

Sometimes you can remove the torque converter and look inside the pump area to see broken parts of the pump.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM

If you unbolt the torque converter and it won't move back it's a safe bet that the pump has been damaged.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

If the torque converter moves as you were advice'd, don't drop the tranny yet. Pull the tranny pan and look for parts laying in it. When I rebuilt mine I used all the parts supplied in the rebuild kit and my tranny had no reverse and forward gears were slipping. I talked to customer support tech spec and his first question was " Did I use the supplied c-clip on the boost valve on the pump?". "Of course" I said. "Thats your problem" he said. He went on with saying that 50% of the time the supplied clip gives the illusion of seating but when you start the motor it pops out along with everything its retaining.
He also said that normally the vehicle will not have foward or reverse and to go ahead and reassemble ( If you haven't drove it this way ) in vehicle using a oem clip and everything will be fine.
He said that since I had partial forward then most likely not everything had fallen out and one piece was stuck in there. AND since I drove it and felt it slip, I had burnt several clutch packs and band AND torque convertor
He was right and it was a expensive time consuming lesson.
I experimented with the oem clip and the other and it truly did feel like it seated right, but the oem did feel like it snapped in with more authority.
Using the oem now with no problems.
If this is the case for you be glad you could'nt drive it and cause more damage
Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for your reply, I did not rebuild the transmission myself but when I dropped the pan off nothing was loose there. I am waiting for a new torque coverter that the guy who rebuilt it says he is 100% sure that is the problem... I'm not so sure but as soon as I receive it and install it on the I will keep you inform.
Thanks, Luis

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.