Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rebuilt Chevy 350 break-in issues
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

UPDATE: Momma is happy once again, lol. She got her driveway back.

Finally got to spend another day on the truck.

Starter issue resolved, spacer only on outward hole to move starter closer to flywheel (all teeth are still good, luckily).

Spent a few hours on the Holley 650 carb and getting it too idle. Had fuel dribbling from primary boosters, Floats levels were good.
Ended up being not enough initial timing, so i was compensating with the idle adjustment which was pulling the fuel from the booster.
But for **** and giggles, I threw the edlebrock 1405 back on. And voila! Runs beautiful now with this carb.

Initial timing at 18*, all in with 36* by 3,200rpm. Used the middle springs from an Accel HEI spring kit.

Been driving it the past two days, trying to get some miles on her. It is running excellent, Im so use the old worn out 6 cyl (350 w/2 low comp. cylinders).
Having really laid into her yet, I'll give it a few more weeks for that. But she wants to spin the 33's, even with the 3.08 rear end. This cam has a bit more 'lope' then I thought it would have, still sounds incredibly good though.

I plan to rack up a few hundred miles like this then pull v.covers once again to adjust valves while running. And I'll play with the timing a bit more then.
I would be surprised if I have a wiped cam lobe now, but we will see.

Took the truck to work this morning, and had to crank the truck over a few times to start. Fuel pressure, I am losing fuel pressure somewhere when engine is off. The gas filter is empty (fuel draining back down the line) once she has sat for a few hours. No apparent gas leaks anywhere. Running a mechanical pump to cheapo regulator (set at 5psi) to gas filter, to edelbrock carb. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Davect06607; 09-29-2013 at 01:06 PM.