Hot Rod Forum banner

Rebuilt engine question

885 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jeeper426 
#1 ·
okay, i had the block X-rayed that we put in my 4x4, and we descovered that one of the rear bearings are wallered out just enough to be dangerous, so were ordering a G.M crate motor, i'm debating on weather or not to go with the Cam-shaft i have now, or go with the one that comes in the motor, its an engine for an '87 Chevrolet Half Ton, with a longer stroke and larger bore then the one i have now, I'm definitely using my 4 barrel carbeurator and aluminum intake, i'm thinking about transferring my anti-float lifters, and chrome molly push rods, i was wondering if i should go for the G.M "performance plus" package, or just get a factory rebuilt block and swap my crap into it o_O, any ideas y'all?
(the only reason i don't go for a V8 is. it wont fit in an '84 XJ and cool properly)

#3 ·
that makes sence, i'm trying to get my dad to just order a short block, heads, block and pan, so we can put what ever cam and intake we want on it, which'll save me quite a bit, i can order one with a long stroke, that's bored 20 over and the crank is turned 20 under, but then i'd have the Exact engine i have now, what i want is plenty of low end torque, being a 4 wheel drive, and i'm going with my Hi-Stall converter that i purchased from Summit, its a 2300 RPM stall, they couldnt give me an exact number though >.< all they said over the phone was it was between 2k and 2.5k, thats a pretty big difference, but my dad said, that even a stock motor can benefit from a high stall converter, it'll increase low-end responce, and increase low end torque, but i'm fond of that cam O.O i've never had a 4 wheel drive that responded like a High-end hotrod before o.o, and i'm rather happy with the amount of extra power the truck has over stock, i'll do a little more research, thanks for the help

#4 ·
i'm looking for a wrecked Late Model S10 Blazer, with the Gen3 Vortec 4.3L V6, from what i hear it has upwards of 220hp at the rear wheels, and with headers and a chip capable of 300+, my dad suggested we go this rout so i'll have fuel injection, and with it being a vortec motor it'll give me more torque, and a much larger cam o_O, also its a Roller cammed motor, and it comes with a TH700R4 Automatic attached to it with a hi-stall converter o_O, were going to go with the overhauled T-case we have laying in the garage from a blazer because it has the steeper low range gear set in it, and the Slip Yoke eliminator which'll allow me to run a better drive shaft, or at least a shorter one, and with an over drive i'll be able to cruise the highway with better fuel economy then i'm getting now <.< barely 10 in town and about 16 on the highway >.>
4 barrel carb, true duel exhaust (which i'm keeping) Aluminum intake manifold, 160 degree thermostat (also what i'm considering using) and a 4 core radiator O.O, i'm also going to keep my 18" Electric Torq-Flo fan :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.