Rebuilt Engine Squeaking, Driving me Nuts! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry Rebuilt Engine Squeaking, Driving me Nuts!

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been searching all over the Web but am coming up empty with any ideas on this one.

I purchased a freshly rebuilt 350 cu in engine for my Camaro, installed it, and have just started it up. It makes a squeak-squeak-squeak at crank speed coming from the bottom rear of the engine and one of the lifters is bleeding down and clicking. When I adjust the lifter it keeps bleeding down so I know it needs to be replaced. But the squeaking is what's very disturbing to me.

I'd like to really try to figure out what it is and hopefully it's something not too serious, or else I have to pull the motor and send it back, and then reinstall it. The guy who runs the place that rebuilt the engine (professional place advertising in national magazines) is being difficult about this and said if it's crank thrust, it's not covered under the warranty since it's not part of the rebuild. He also told me to remove the oil pan and run the motor to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. This guy seems very scary and untrustworthy to me now. He's the one who's supposed to measure the crank thrust during rebuild, and run the engine without the oilpan on????

I don't think I did anything myself. Before I started it, the radiator was properly filled, I used GM engine break in fluid, I primed the engine before starting it and had 40 psi of pressure on my guage, and the timing was set correctly so it started right up. I rev'd it right up to 2500RPM for 20 mins to break in the cam and lifters.

Like I said, it sounds like it's coming from the bottom rear of the engine, so I disconnected the torque converter to separate the tranny from the engine, and the engine still squeeked. Next I replaced the flexplate, even though it wasn't cracked, and it still squeeked. I've also taken the belts off so that the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump weren't spinning, and it still squeeks. Then I thought it may be the distributor, so I swapped it out with one I know is good and it still squeeks. I don't think it's the fuel pump since the noise is nowhere near it.

After the initial 20 minute run I changed the oil filter. After 100 miles I changed the oil and the filter. I didn't see any metal or anything in the oil, I also cut open both of the filters and don't see any metal in the elements anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this squeaking may be? The only things I can find on the web about internal engine noises from main bearings, rod bearings, wrist pins etc, refer to thumping, rapping, or clicking noises, I can't find anything about a crank speed squeak.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Thanks,
Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Just a small thought but pull the dipstick out while its running...?

Also pull the distributor out and then take a magnet and reach down inside the dist. hole (good flashligh will help) and try to remove the dist. drive shaft which engages to the oil pump input shaft... If the magnet allows you to remove the connecting shaft then the problem is the rebuilder did not install a plastic sleeve that is supposed to keep the oil pump shaft and the drive shaft inline and prevent the oil pump from trashing out...
Old 09-19-2003, 07:35 PM

What the hell kind of engine rebuilder says Crankshaft thrust is not part of the rebuild? And then he tells you to run it with the oil pan off ??? For Gods sake! This guy needs to be slapped silly!

A mechanics stethescope would be helpful. The lifter may be too tight. I agree about the dipstick, I've seen it myself. See where the squeak is the loudest. Can you hear it in the exhaust?
Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yep, that machinist needs to find a different means of making a living.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:03 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

what was the bozo's name?

cos i don't wanna spend no money there.....
Old 09-19-2003, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check out the dipstick and distributor sleeve tomorrow. That would be awesome if it's one of those things.

Crazy Larry- I'll send you a message.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-20-2003, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

I pulled out the dipstick and it still made the noise, then I pulled the distributor and put a 3.5 lb magnet on the oil pump drive shaft and couldn't get it to lift up. Then I spun the oil pump with a primer to see if it would squeak on it's own, but no luck.

In reply to YtseJam, I did get a stethescope but I'm a rookie with it, I can't seem to pinpoint anything. Also, I can't hear the noise through the exhaust.

One thing I did notice today, the lifter noise and the squeaking noise were not there when I started it, the noises came only after it was warmed up. Could this be good news? Would a bad crank bearing or rod bearing make noise on a cold engine?

Should I just put a new set of lifters in it and maybe that will fix the squeaking too?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 09-20-2003, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

It seems that the only thing that you have not checked is the distributer.I have never experienced that but it could be a possibility.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Well, I put a new set of lifters in the motor and started it up. It sounded great until it warmed up and the squeeking started again. One other thing I noticed is that at idle, it will intermittently stop squeaking for a few revolutions, then squeek again. At higher rev's it will squeek all the time.

Does anyone think this could be something serious?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-25-2003, 08:07 PM

Don't know but seems like a squeek "as you say" wouldn't come from inside the engine. I say that because a squeek to me would be two things dry rubbing against each other. The motor oiling system should eliminate that inside the engine. Flexplate not rubbing against anything huh?? Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I've never had a bad one so I can't back this up,but I've allways been told that a bad cam bearing will squell.Did this clown include new cam bearings????I'd look into that.But again I can't back this up.But this ould also make me think why a new set of lifters was ticking.
As for the thrust clearance not being included in the rebuild I would pull the motor apart and throw it peace by peace through every window in his shop!!!Then leave the block on the hood of his car!!What kinda lame excuse was that,anyway??
Old 09-26-2003, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

You said it doesn't squeak in the exhaust, but does it have a heat riser flap between the manifold and y-pipe? I don't know if it's stock?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

After it starts squeaking if you can put your hand on the timing chain cover, without being in any danger, you can see if the timing chain is hitting cover. Do you know if it had a double roller chain put in it? Also check the bolt that holds on the harmonic balancer. It might be loose and it could be the washer. Hope it helps.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 1954chevyrod
After it starts squeaking if you can put your hand on the timing chain cover, without being in any danger, you can see if the timing chain is hitting cover. Do you know if it had a double roller chain put in it? Also check the bolt that holds on the harmonic balancer. It might be loose and it could be the washer. Hope it helps.
I agree, I would check this first before I spent any more money...a cam button isnt expensive and they work well...Id also check behind the timing chain for block wear, and if it is, you could proboly use a thrust plate and shims to fix it...
Old 09-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Are you sure itīs the engine and not the alternator or water/
steering pump? maybe the belts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.