Rebuilt engine won't crank. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 11:23 PM

Last journal entry: The '85 Monte Carlo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilt engine won't crank.

This is been bothering me for a week now. I have a '85 Monte Carlo. It has a 350 and TH350. Both have been rebuilt by me. The problem I'm having is that the engine will not crank correctly. The engine crank just fine when I first went to start it but I had the timing off. after having to do the timing twice once for 180 off, I went to crank it and it would crank about a turn or so then less and less then just clicks. I read a post with a guy who had the same type of problem here http://www.hotrodders.com/t32087.html I tried putting oil in each cylinder but I can't turn the engine by hand ( I don't want to turn it with the starter, it may wash down the cylinders again), but the starter will turn it with the plugs out. Could the fuel being in the crankcase have an affect on this. I have a problem with a loud squeak while cranking also. I'm thinking it is the seal behind the balancer because of all the crank and lack of oil to it. Please give me any suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Steve Chryssos - 68 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1bbody
..... it would crank about a turn or so then less and less then just clicks.......I have a problem with a loud squeak while cranking also. I'm thinking it is the seal behind the balancer because of all the crank and lack of oil to it. Please give me any suggestions.
Excuse me for stating the obvious, but it really just sounds like a dead battery to me. And if you don't have an oil pump primer, get one.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:18 AM

::Bump::

Pistons are in in the right direction, You prime the Oil before Cranking the first time, Tighten everything to spec and not over? Battery have 12.45 - 12.65 Volts? (At the Terminals), Battery Terminals clean?, Starter New or Used? Any Other Info would help...

(You proably did all this but I guess it never hurts to ask, also wanted to bump your Question up so others could read it and post)

Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 06:35 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

One good turn...

Make sure you have oil in the galleries squeaks are not a good sign , Steve was right about the oil primer sometimes they are needed, I have filled a filter with oil to help things along . Be sure the timings right, SBCs are timed 1 TDC - 6 overlap, valves on 6 will be rocking when 1 firing, 1 is on overlap when dots on cam and crank are lined up which would make your first distributor installation 180 out. Assembled SBC would usually take about 60 to 90 ft/lb to turn from static so will spin freely on starter without plugs, only thing causing resistance with plugs in is bad timing.

Good luck

Rob
Old 04-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Oh yeah!! and Grounds. Lotsa good solid grounds.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

I tried 2 different batteries and even jumped it. The starter was out of another car. The engine was primed before it was put in. It cranked fine when I first tried to start it but timing was off, it backfired out the exhaust at that time. after changing the timing twice it started to do this . I did a lot of cranking before this happpened all off which was normal cranking. I only crank the car around 10sec. or som when the timing was off.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

Did you bump up the compression with your rebuild? How high is the compression? If you bumped it up then the starter may not be able to crank the higher compression engine.

You may need a high torque starter.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:07 PM

How 'bout a little process of elimination:

1) With all 8 spark plugs removed, are you able to spin the engine over by hand with a breaker bar or 1/2" drive ratched on the crank pulley? Does it spin relatively freely by hand?

2) Tell me how many chassis grounds you have and where? i.e. engine to chassis, body to chassis, etc.

3) Is there any oil leaking past your seals?

4) You state that you rebuilt the engine. What were the rod and main bearing clearances? Did the crank spin freely after torquing the main caps?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

the first thing to do is unbolt the converter from the flywheel and see what you get with a motor-only start. You're trying to eliminate a problem that could be anything from two complicated mechanical devices. Make it one device at a time, and go from there.

ONe step at a time.

K
Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Backfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1bbody
I tried 2 different batteries and even jumped it. The starter was out of another car. The engine was primed before it was put in. It cranked fine when I first tried to start it but timing was off, it backfired out the exhaust at that time. after changing the timing twice it started to do this . I did a lot of cranking before this happpened all off which was normal cranking. I only crank the car around 10sec. or som when the timing was off.
Doc here,

Backfire on a Fresh engine is NOT a good thing...Check your Valve timing, and static timing...#1 TDC, Both valves closed, timing marks lined up...BE SURE it is still there...first crank backfires can stretch or break a new chain and jump or lose time..Are the Valves actually moving now?

As Far as the Cranking system..BE Sure your Cables are proper gauge and terminals are tight and clean. BE sure your Main ground cable grounds at or near the starter (not on the frame or body) and has a star washer on it.

Your using a starter out of another car...The old starter may not be UP to cranking a fresh engine (due to age) but perform fine on an older engine. Does it need to be shimmed? too close, to far away from the flywheel? I would score a NEW starter and try that first.

You can pre~lube the Engine through the distributer hole into the oil pump when you go to reset your timing...use a kit or make one from an old large slotted screw driver blade and a 3/8 drill motor..spin it up until you have good Flow out the rockers and pressure on the gauge..so you won't dry start.

Check for anything dragging on rotating parts..loose torque converter, etc..

Check for excessive end play on the crank.

Hope it helps!
Doc
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

The engine has no leaks. I have 76cc heads and some flat top pitons, so compression shouldn't be too high. As for grounds I'm not sure. I only hooked the battery cable to the Alt. bracket. I did not paint the area at which the starter connects to the engine, so the starter should be grounded well. All my clearances were fine crank rods ect. Crankshaft endplay was good too. I am going to college for automotive and everything was checked by instructor before being completed. My teacher is confused about this too, so I'm bringing it to the school on Monday. Someone will find out what it is there. It seems that if you don't know what to check or think you checked everything someone always has another idea of what it could be and a lot of times they are right. Thanks for your help. I'll post if I find out new information next week.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.