Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rebuilt t-375 shifting very hard when engaging Drive but not when fluid low?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggevaert
So, questions.
1. I got the transmission without a dipstick and tube so I sourced one from a wrecker but he got it out of truck so he may have mistaken the 375 for a 375B (which is a totally different beast) so is it possible my hard shifts are due to too much fluid and when it went down it was more in the 'normal range'?
2. I like the smoother shifts at low tranny fluid (i.e. it's just below the 'add one quart' on the dipstick), is that hard on the tranny? (assuming the problem is not as noted in quest 1)
3. Is it possible that something is sticking (governor valve)?
4. Am I using the wrong stall for that cam and causing that hard shifting (I read that you should use a high stall with a tall cam)?
5. Am I just paranoid and the shifts should be this hard so just fix the rear seal, put fluid to normal zone and live with it
:
High fluid level shouldn't cause the hard shifts/ gear engagement. Low level will cause soft/slipping shifts= bad.
That Cam needs at least 2500rpm stall. Operating range is 2500-6400rpm.
With the Engine running the fluid level should be even with the Trans Pan mounting surface. You should drop the Pan & check the level marks on the Dipstick.
The Bang Shift is caused by the Shift Kit, High Idle speed & Low Stall TC.
Higher stall TC should calm it down and help creeping in gear.