Rebuilt Tranny Startup NO oil in Converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rebuilt Tranny Startup NO oil in Converter

I had a guy build a 350 for me. He said he put about 1 Qt of synthetic fluid in converter and for me to do the fill through the dip stick when I was ready to start it up. Now 3 mo. later I am ready. He said if he put more, it just spills out and that it will be OK with the synthetic till it gets pumped more reg fluid in a few seconds from me filling it. Sound correct? How much do I put in before starting engine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

You mean how much tranny fluid do you put in before you start the motor I would just add a quart at a time until you see it on the dipstick, then run it breifly and check it again. OR......give it a little time and someone here with a bit more knowledge on trannies will tell you EXACTLY how much a 350 takes
Old 08-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartamos
I had a guy build a 350 for me. He said he put about 1 Qt of synthetic fluid in converter and for me to do the fill through the dip stick when I was ready to start it up. Now 3 mo. later I am ready. He said if he put more, it just spills out and that it will be OK with the synthetic till it gets pumped more reg fluid in a few seconds from me filling it. Sound correct? How much do I put in before starting engine?
The info you were given is correct.

Put 4 quarts of fluid in the trans before you start the engine. (Any more than that before starting the engine will come out the dipstick.) Add additional fluid while the engine is running until the trans dipstick reads FULL. Depending on how much fluid any trans cooler you might have holds and how long the lines are; the TH350 trans will hold 11-12 quarts when full. After filling the trans, shift the trans between all the gears to assure that you have circulation of trans fluid. Check for leaks.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Thank you. My other question is does it sound correct that there is only 1 QT in converter, I saw Jessie James in Irag and a guy blew the tranny by not filling converter.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

A quart in the converter is just fine, it will lube the internals well. The converter will get pumped full as the pump begins to operate and you add more fluid. I suspect that the guy who ruined his converter started it up dry and things deteriorated from there.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

i put 1qt in the converter and filled thru the dipstick 6 quarts before startup. final fill ended up adding 2.5 qts.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Last photo:

The guy in Iraq broke the pump when they stabbed the engine, it did not break from no fluid. They did not show you that, they just let the little guy take the fall for that bogus no fluid thing.

Vince
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

I hope someone gives him a good job when he gets home. He is a good worker. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

You might want to cycle the shifter from reverse to drive a couple of times too. After you start the engine and are satisified it is fine, set the parking brake, stand on the brake pedal and put the tranny in gear once you see it is full.

This will help get the fluid thru all of the body and insure it is fully distributed. Then check the level again.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

thanks Much GMC, this is for a 56 GMC Carryall 4x4.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.