Hot Rod Forum banner

Rebuilt transmission use by date.

746 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a rebuilt Ford C4 off Ebay for a few hundred dollars less than if I were to have mine rebuilt to the same specs. I spoke to the seller and he says that the box was rebuilt about 1 1/2 months ago and no oil has been added. As the title suggests, is there a use by date or should the box be in as newly reco'd condition? Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
DON'T DO IT!!!!!! i got burned a LOT on ebay take your money and the tranny that you have and invest in that one, that way you know what you have. if you have to save a few more bucks to get it done at least you wont have a 200 lb paper weight hanging around with foot prints on your butt

#3 ·
I'm curious on this too, I have a TH-400 that was rebuilt (cost me a bundle when I had it done) for a project truck that I never got fully funded or finished. The transmission has sat in my shop for several years now mated to the adapter and transfer case and crossmember so it hasn't even touched the floor in all that time.

It was never mounted , the new torque converter has been installed the entire time, and has been through hundreds of freeze/thaw cycles over the years (I'm thinking around 8 years now, but can ask the original builder as it was his first summer in business at his old location- to verify).

It still looks like the day I put it back together and left it there.

#4 ·
ron2003_h said:
I'm considering purchasing a rebuilt Ford C4 off Ebay for a few hundred dollars less than if I were to have mine rebuilt to the same specs. I spoke to the seller and he says that the box was rebuilt about 1 1/2 months ago and no oil has been added. As the title suggests, is there a use by date or should the box be in as newly reco'd condition? Thanks in advance guys.
Most of the trans builders I've spoken with say as long as it has been sealed up there shouldn't be any problem. If not sealed you should at least drop the pan and make sure no bugs have found a new home. Make sure the vent tube is clear of DirtDabbers. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.