Hot Rod Forum banner

"Recessed"-look....how do I make this??

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dusty82 
#1 ·
Hello everyone...

I just registered here on Hotrodders, but I´m not really new to the Forum since i´ve been here reading and learning for the last couple of weeks, and there really is a lot of information and tricks to learn from you guys. Thank You all for sharing Your knowledge, questions, hints and tricks with beginners like myself.

As a matter of fact, You got me so inspired that i finally bought myself an Adler 167 walking-foot machine that I `ve been practicing the basics on for the last couple of weeks....and I´m really enjoying it.
My goal is to make a vinyl interior for my -41 Plymouth, and I´m currently trying to make up my mind about the design....i think I´m slowly getting there though, finally.

I have a question that I haven´t been able to find the answer to on the forum. I found this picture on the internet, and the shape of this bench seat is exactly what I would like to have...but how do you approach it?? What I´m after is this "thick-and-puffy"-looking seatback (the lower, blue and white part) together with the "recessed" look of the upper, white part of the seat.

I hope that somebody can, and want to, point me in the right direction on how to achieve this shape? My guess is that you have to get the shape of the seatfoam first of all, by gluing, cutting and sanding pieces of foam together until you have the basic shape...but how do you go from there? How do I get that sharp definition between the lower blue-white pleated part, and the upper white vinyl?

My first thought (my unexperienced and novice guess, that is...) was to sew listings and wire to the back of the vinyl, and then cut slits in the foam and pull the listings through them, and then attach these wire-listings to the seatframe. But maybe there is a better way??

Trial-and-error is usually a good teacher...but in this case it feels like it could be an expensive teacher too, and I don´t want that at all if I can avoid it!! :)
So....any help, advice or hint in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Once again...thank you all for posting and sharing here in this Forum...Thank You.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Any time you see depth like the elongated "V" in the rear seat back, the fabric is recessed into a groove in the foam, and held in place with something like a listing with a wire in it that is solidly attached to the seat springs. If you don't attach it to the springs some way, you won't get the depth you're looking for. The seat foam can be all one thickness with the groove cut out in the shape you want. The entire process is more complicated than I have time to explain here, but the way to hold the shape to the springs is with flexible stake wire attached to the springs, and then your listing with a wire inside attached to the stake wire with hog rings. If you have any more questions, just ask.

BTW, the blue and white is done with separate 3 1/2" or 4" wide sections all sewed together. Those measurements are before sewing them together, so they finish 2 1/2" or 3" wide.

#4 ·
Thank You for Your very fast and clear answer, DanTwoLakes, and as always You certainly did a good job at explaining the procedure.

What You said about a stake-wire being attached to the frame/springs, and then the listing with the wire in it attached to that stake-wire was truly an eye-opener and makes perfecy sense, of course....and now that You have described how to do it, I find myself feeling rather stupid when I couldn`t figure it out myself!!! But on the other hand, I guess thats what is called learning? :)

I`m sure I will return here with more questions as I get along with this project.

Thank You very much for Your help....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.