Rechargeable batteries - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
DO NOT buy NICAD or NIMH cells from Rat Shack, their batteries are pure junk. Their "D" cell rechargeable is so light it is very obvious that it is no where near the capacity it should be. Take one apart and you will see that it is mostly hollow inside. Compare that to a Sanyo "D" cell of 4400ma and you will feel the difference immediately. You can buy quality Sanyo NICAD or NIMH cells for what you pay for the junk from Rat Shack.

Vince

Exactly the same for the Harbor Freight rechargeable batteries, they are almost useless. It may be kind of odd but the HF Alkaline throw away batteries seem to be about as good as any I have used but quite a bit cheaper. They may not last quite as long as a Duracell for instance but they will be very close and the huge difference in price makes them a much better buy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=oldred]I like the idea of the solder tabs because that makes building the packs much easier.[QUOTE]

Oldred, you should always build packs from cells with solder tabs. Never solder leads onto button top cells. You cannot do this without damaging the vent system in the cell which dramatically shortens it's life and also creates a possible safety concern. This fact is well documented in spite of any anecdotal counter claims.

Vince
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

I used springs in the packs I built but that is not a very good way of doing it and since I am going to have to add more cells anyway I think I will just toss these things and start all over. Once soldered together however will require charging them as a group instead of as individual cells, which would be a PITA anyway, so this raises another question, a group of 7 cells will yield 8.4 volts and the pair would be only 16.8 volts. I have a couple of 18 volt chargers so how would it work to use one of those to charge the pair of packs together? Would it be better to use a 9 volt charger and charge the packs separately? Maybe use 8 cell packs for 9.6 volts or 19.2?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Last photo:

You certainly could charge two pack at once with your 18v charger, however keep an eye on them and make sure they are not over heating.. If you really get serious about your batteries and want the max life from them then you should consider an intelligent charger. An intelligent charger will give you different charging options like peak charging, fast charging. C/10 charging, trickle, and cycling.

Vince
Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Ok, sounds like a new charger may be in the cards too. This has gone from simply clumping a few batteries together to building a complete power pack but I still have the need for this thing and I intend to get whatever it takes. The plan is to build packs of 7 or 8 cells with two packs in series to get the desired voltage then two pairs of packs would be wired parallel and the whole thing installed in a metal ammo box with a charging port(s) and an access plug for the supply cord to the tools. This should supply enough power to do what I need and be completely silent and more convenient than a gasoline generator with the obvious exception of the generator's almost unlimited endurance. That's the plan as of now anyway but I am certainly open to suggestions!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

OK ... if we're talking about buiding our own battery paks using batteries with tabs on them, perhaps we should be looking at Li-ion batteries.

That "onlybatteries.com" site does supply some awesome AA-sized Li-ion batteries in a 3.6 (or 3.7) volt format UP TO 2200mah!
3.6V x 2 = 7.2V, just as 1.2V x 6 = 7.2V ... right?

3.7 Volt - 2200 mah with tabs $10.89 USD

I really don't think that the charger or the tool would care about the .2V difference either.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.