Recommendations? 4.5" Grinder Abrasive For Weld Dressing - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

To do a short area of raised mig weld I just fire up my air die grinder with a cut off wheel. It takes a couple of minutes more - but no big deal plus the final dress up is easy with minimal gouging. For a bit more, out comes my Bosch 4.5" and a 40-60 grit flap wheel. If I need to do some serious metal grinding, then my Hitachi 7" grinder, 24grit on a good backer and make my mess

One thing to remember is that the filler/weld material is harder then the surrounding steel and if you aren't careful with a big grinder then you spend a lot of time dressing up the digs and gouges

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Nitro, meat for the beast

Wiki Edits: 0

weld hardness

IC, the weld may be harder , but thats not always the case. an ER70S-3 wire leaves a very ductile, easy to work weld. ER70S-6 is the most common welding wire and tends to be a little harder than the -3 welds. L-Tec used to make a wire called E-Z grind in an .023 diameter. I am pretty sure ESAB now makes it. It's a wire specially formulated for thin sheet metal, particularly body panel work and even though the EZ grind is a 70S-6 wire it does defy my last statement.
70S-3 was a great wire for chrome-moly tubing welds(chassis) because the make-up of the wire limited carbon scavenging and the ductility matched the base almost perfectly.
A switch to a smaller diameter wire may be just what the doctor ordered. Heat input is lower as is weld deposition. Saves alot of work on the other end.
Irelands Child, I see you live upstate. Me too. Where abouts?
Gasoline is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for Racing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM

It's hard to get good composition info on grinding discs but what you really need to know is the makeup of the abrasive and the binder. They need to be designed for the type of work being ground, and small changes can make a big difference. Norton Abrasives may be the best in the business when it comes to this. The abrasive itself has a friability index which tells you how easily it fractures, exposing new sharp edges. Generally speaking, harder metals need an abrasive that fractures more easily and vice-versa. The binder determines how easily the grains of abrasive are discarded and new ones exposed, and is generally formulated to match the friability index, but a too aggressive or hard binder can prevent exposure of fresh cutting edges and this is a common problem in cheap wheels. Generally, a fast cutting wheel will be one that wears down more quickly, and one that just throws a few sparks will last forever no matter how badly you try to wear it out. So the trick for harder materials (like weld beads) is to get a softer wheel, and then once you find one you like particularly well, stick with it. A Norton catalog might be a good starting point.

Jim
Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocorsair
A switch to a smaller diameter wire may be just what the doctor ordered. Heat input is lower as is weld deposition. Saves alot of work on the other end.
Irelands Child, I see you live upstate. Me too. Where abouts?
Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for Racing!
Unfortunately - United Welding Supply locally has never been able to supply me with anything but the Harris E70S6 in .023 dia after several requests. They do have larger dia soft stuff, but also not in small rolls 2 or 13 pounders. Soooooo, I grind a lot and keep looking

I'm near Saratoga - 10 miles South off I87.

Dave W
Old 12-17-2008, 01:05 PM

I am between Rochester and 'cuse, on the lake shore.!! I know your stomping grounds well. Went to college in Utica, grad school in Oswego, Taught in Syracuse for a bunch of years.
I could put you on to some .023 ez grind locally if you are interested.

Drop me a PM if you would like.

Norton makes good products, but recently I have had a problem wih the concentricity of the wheels, particularly the larger sizes. That being said, Norton stands by their product and replaces it but the problem still persists. I have yet to get an answer or fixfor the problem.
Again, with grinding wheels, ya get what ya pay for. Spend the extra buck and get favorable results.

Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for racing!!

Last edited by nitrocorsair; 12-17-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

I'm in the same boat...smallish town, 2 welding supply shops besides Lowe's/Home Depot. ER70S-6 is about all I can locate. Harris or Lincoln in .023/.025 respectively. Now maybe its possible to locate the ESAB easy grind by internet or even the ER70S-3. Is the S-3 compatible with cold rolled mild steel?

I might try to find Norton online and request a catalog.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Yep S-3 is compatable with any mild/low carbon steel. Hot or cold rolled. Mild steel is usually used in more stressful applications where as low carbon is for your "cheaper" less stressed parts.
Again S-3 and S-6 are both very close in results for the applications we are talking about. The S-3 tends to pull LESS carbon there by making for a somewhat "softer" weld but the S-6 is also a very workable weld. The quantity of the material deposited is as much, if not more, of a problem child as anything else.
Another answer to the dilema is the use of silicon bronze , also known as Everdur. this stuff holds well, grinds nicely and has no problem taking a bond from fillers or paint. An added bonus to SiBr is the fact that its ductile enough where any weld shrinkage you may encunter can be pushed back with a few smacks from a planishing hammer and a dolly back-up.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks Nitro. If I run into more problems, for sure I'll give you a shout and ask you to pick up some for me. There are a couple of welding supply houses in Albany that I haven't tried and will this week when I make my last Xmas shopping pass for my wife - she does all the rest

Dave W
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

You guys are so nuts....we now have this great tool called the web....Your actually using it now...Supprise. You have acess to anything you need.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
You guys are so nuts....we now have this great tool called the web....Your actually using it now...Supprise. You have acess to anything you need.

In your posts, you seem quite knowledgeable and talented, so you can cut the degrading comments. yknot, I'm only going to nice this one time. If you keep up with the condescending comments that have been typed out in this forum (and every other forum you've posted in on this board) about "You guys are so nuts", I will see to it personally that you see a two week suspension in posting privileges. Any civilized human being can get any point across with talking down to his (or her to be P.C.) fellow man. That is behavior that is below 99 percent of the poster's on this forum.

In a while, Chet.

Last edited by schnitz; 12-18-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 AM

Last I knew, the purpose of these message boards was for guys with experience and knowledge to come together and share what they have done and experiences that others can learn from. The web is a great tool in the respect that it puts us all together. As far as hanging on what I read on every web page, I am always a little skeptical. I will listen to the opinions of 5 fellow posters or hotrodders before I believe what I read on one web site.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

I own a web business...its my sole income and it employs a nice little group of dedicated people who keep the store running well. But, I still try to buy local from the brick and motors around my town. So yes you can find anything on the net but I'll go local first if I can. I typically trust the advice of my local shop keeper vs. the internet cowboys any day of the week. Why? Cuz I can look him in the eye and shake his hand. His kid goes to the same school as mine. We share the same doctors and grocery stores etc.....its an investment into your community. Socially and financially. Love the net but I'd rather talk to a "breather" when at all possible. Know what I mean?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Amen to that!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 AM

I'm no expert but a flap disc is what you need. This is what we use at the garage. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/smith-an..._W0QQ_armrsZ1). Hope it helps.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.