Recommendations? 4.5" Grinder Abrasive For Weld Dressing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Recommendations? 4.5" Grinder Abrasive For Weld Dressing

Howdy, just trying to locate the most aggressive grinding medium for my 4.5" electric angle grinder. I'm knocking down MIG beads and the 2 grinding discs I've tried make pretty sparks and lots of noise and do little to remove the bead. I've been 3M Green Corps with a backer work well...I'll try that but am looking for a bead eating composite disc too..since they are pretty inexpensive and last a while.
I use 3/16"s cut off wheels, 3" air/angle grinder Rolocs around 36/50 girt, and the flaps but thats a long slow process. Better used at the end for final dressing.

Anyone know if these advertised for stainless will do the job?

Metabo 4.5"x 7/8" Depressed Center Grinding Wheel ZA24T

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 PM

smallblock357

try what is called a flaper disk i am a fabricator by yrade these are what use in the shop and i also use them at home. question why are you trying to knock them down if they are that tall try turning wire down a little or angle your tip so that you push the wire.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

4.5 flap disc. they are made in different grits, 40 will take it down fast.

check here:
http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...l-Jumbo/Detail
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I bit it and got a 9" serious metal mower..much better if one needs to do some aggressive metal mowing..My 4.5 is fine for fine finish..i did order a box of 4.5 cutoff disks from Central welding..25 in a box and they work very well..

Sam
Old 11-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

The beads are not tall but rather ordinary but I'm doing patch panel work on sheet metal and require the surface to appear smooth for final paint. The flaps are good for finish work as they are pretty unaggressive but for like removing the 3 feet of bead I laid down last night I need something with more metal chewing prowess. I do have a 7" angle grinder but that thing is a beast to control. I could easily dip by mistake and dig a hole right through that 18 gauge.
Anyone else have a 4.5" depressed center style kick a s s disc to recommend?
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I bit it and got a 9" serious metal mower..much better if one needs to do some aggressive metal mowing..My 4.5 is fine for fine finish..i did order a box of 4.5 cutoff disks from Central welding..25 in a box and they work very well..

Sam

"Metal mower", that's a good description! My Milwaukee 9" grinder with a 7" 40 grit flap wheel will make metal disappear at an amazing rate!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevinpointsixtoone
Howdy, just trying to locate the most aggressive grinding medium for my 4.5" electric angle grinder. I'm knocking down MIG beads and the 2 grinding discs I've tried make pretty sparks and lots of noise and do little to remove the bead.
I went through the spark show, too, with a couple of different brands. Finally tried some cheap disks from TSC and they eat the metal well. They don't last very long, but the price and production are good. I think the brand is Mibro and they come 5 to the pack, 1/4" x 4.5" with 7/8" hole. My much-abused little grinder is a Skil. It's been taken apart several times to clean out the accumulated mess and is currently running with brushes taken from a scrap 1/4" drill (whittled to shape).
Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 AM
66 mustang

choice

24 grit makita or metabo will do the job, then touch up smooth 80 or 120 grit flapper, works for me,chinese stuff is what you pay for, cra#.
Russ
1mm cut offs close to being the best invention for years too!
makita 14 inch cut offs used in my drop saw also
Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Good for you....Love to see others get involved in the Metal Working trade, Hobby or Professional.

The Grinder is the most used single piece of equipment in the shop!! No joke, you use them for everything. I personally like to use the 4-1/2" side grinders for all my sanding and grinding needs. The bigger 7-8" grinders are just to big and heavy for most of what I do.

I have a different take on grinders, I like Craftsmen, Dewalt , Makita and bosch. Personally I try to avoid the ones with the safety latch on the side by the triger. The ideal is a good one, but if you use the grinder a lot, it gets old having to push in the safety, before the trigger. There are many very good grinders out these days, so avoid the Harbor freight junk, it's horrible to use and last about one good sized project.

I have to get a lot done in a short amount of time, so I have 8 - 4-1/2" side grinders, 5-Craftsmen, 1-Dewalt, 1-Maketia, 1-Bosch. I just keep them all loaded with the tool I use often. Like one would have a backing disc and 36-Grit Sanding disc, one a 80-Grit and one a 120-Grit. One grinder would have a grinding disc and another one with a thinner disc and one with wire wheel. The point is, it takes much less time to just grab another grinder, then it would to constantly remove and re-load the proper sanding or grinding disc. I understand you may or may not be able to adopt this system, but it works very well.

I also have a very nice small 4" grinder that I use to get into tight areas with, this grinder is very much smaller then the 4-1/2" ones, and I like it very much, it's an older Maketia.

Sanding Fiber Backed Disc, are the number one item I use, I carry a large selection from Grit 24 thru 120. For final sanding, like before painting then you switch to a DA sander and go with the 80 thru 600 grit paper disc.

If you look around on the Web, you will find site that will save you aleast 50% on your Disc, you will have to purchase them in 25, 50 or 100 quantities, but they get used up quickly, and should be bought in larger quantities anyway. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

When I still ran my welding shop we used grinders a LOT and of everything we tried Milwaukee would outlast anything else, in the heavy 9" grinders anyway. Mikita is an excellent grinder in the 4 1/2" size as is the Metabo and Dewalt and although the 4 1/2" Milwaukee is bullet proof I just don't like the design and it is somewhat awkward to use, don't know what they were thinking.

About the cheap HF grinders, they have two different "brands"-the Drill Master and the Chicago Electric. The Blue Drill Master is total junk and would not be worth bringing home if they gave them away but I think you may get more than just a little disagreement on that Orange Chicago Electric 4 1/2" grinder! HF has a few (very few!) tools that have become well known for being better than just decent and that Orange grinder is one of them. There are guys here, including me, who have used those things unmercifully and they do hold up surprisingly well but they are of course no substitute for a "real" grinder in a pro shop. For the weekender and hobbyist these grinders can last for years and are so cheap it is easy to afford 2 or more to keep set up for different uses. They certainly are not pro quality but they have developed a really good reputation and there are a lot of guys who like them a lot.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

I found these on ebay, supposed to be for Steel and Stainless Steel.Should be a real aggressive disc for the stainless. Does that 24 down there in the descrip at the end mean 24 grit?:

Metabo Stainless Grinding Disc
Enlarge

Metabo 4.5"x 7/8" Depressed Center Grinding Wheel ZA24T
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

For taking welds down without grinding the surrounding area I use wheels like the Metabo you linked to, the depressed center hard discs are much easier to control for fast stock removal. 24 grit is a good one. Sait and Walter also are very good brands of wheels.

For blending on sheetmetal after the weld is taken down I like a 24 grit paper disc, with a fiberglass backing pad turned backwards, it lets the edge of the disc conform a bit better to the surface that you are grinding. It also gives a good tooth for applying filler.

IMO, flap wheels are good for appearance of a welded area,, but not much for shaping and blending the surface on flat sheetmetal.

I have a couple of 5" electric grinders, a Craftsman and a B&D. Both work well for me.

My favorite grinder is my 7" 8000 rpm milwaukee heavy duty grinder, it is a monster.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 AM

Heres a way to get a little more out of a roloc type disc.

http://www.1969supersport.com/tls.html

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Nifty!
I just picked up a box of green corps by 3m 36 grit and they do last a lot longer than the other Rolocs I was using. But at about $1.44 each they better! I'll probably whip up that little holder you got there to get that last mile out of each disc.

I also have a couple of 4.5" depressed discs to try out....if I can find something there that chews weld beads well it would be the most cost effective.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Nitro, meat for the beast

Whn trying to take off big ammounts of material, be careful on the grit/ hardness you use. I have seen my fair share of nice work ruined by over zealous grinder use. Flap wheels are great because the interrupted cut of the flaps keeps heat down while still making an agressive cut. Hard wheels (standard grinder disks) are agressive and take material ff quick but also have a tendancy to chatter and gouge so use care when running.
Walter abrasives makes a great product called the Flexcut that is a semi ridgid disk with a wafflle pattern in it so you get the agression of a hard disk with the cool cut and flexibility of a flap. They also are especially effective on contures and curves.
Best of luck .

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.