Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - recommendations on good but cheap metal fab tools
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
The HF or any of the similiarly built ones NEED to be reinforced before they are worth $.02. They will spring under very little pressure. I reinforced mine with 2"x1/4"wall square tube. Still not rock solid but more than adequate for most usage.
Next, drill and tap the 4 blocks the shafts run through and install grease zerks. Otherwise it wont be long until the blocks and shafts are wearing each other out.
I see what you're saying, and I bet those blocks wear out if you don't throw grease in them and just a little probably throws it off down at the dies, not to mention resistence. I heard a lot about reinforcing them so I'll do that as well, but obviously since it's HF I'll try out the dies and make sure everything is working properly. I think I have some 22 gauge laying around that would be perfect for testing it out. I'm thinking I'll get the shrinker first and the bead roller after that...then somehow and someway I'll convince the wife to let me buy and put that huge english wheel in our garage. thanks!