Recommendations on an oxy/acetylene torch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Recommendations on an oxy/acetylene torch

I got so many great responses on my question about torque sticks, I though I'd go ahead and ask another about oxy/acetylene torches. I've been looking to pick one up, and I'm getting kind of lost with all the options out there. I'm leaning towards the Victor Cutskill, but for about half the price I could get the Harbor Freight special with 1/4" hoses (vs. the Cutskill's 3/16) and more tips. I know that generally one should shy away from most HF stuff whenever possible, but I've heard the HF Victor-knock-off torches aren't half bad. I'm mostly going to be using this on a "hot wrench" level, but who knows what the future may bring, so I want to get the best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edit - oh, I also wanted to ask if anyone has experience using MAPP gas instead of Acetylene. Does it really work just as well for cutting and welding? Does it require special tips? Thanks again!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Don't waste your money on the HF torches! Whoever told you they aren't half bad got it backwards, they aren't even half good! They will leak, backfire and just plain fall apart in a short time, this is one tool you don't want to cheap out on. On the other hand the other torch you are looking at, the Victor, is the very best money can can buy and you will be very satisfied with it (my oldest Victor is about 35 years old now ). This is not a case of just brand loyalty and there are some tools I will buy at HF so I am not knocking them either it is just that those HF torches are not good quality at all. You will need a different (and more expensive) two-piece tip for use with MAPP gas and it does not work quite as well as Acetylene, not too bad for cutting or brazing but not so good for welding.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

MAPP gas

I use the propane (LP Gas) tank off my RV, plus Oxy for cutting only. Just use a bigger tip. Since I don't do gas welding (Gas is used for cutting only - largely due to my incompetence as a welder) I have no use for a tank of acetylene.

Works well - maybe not as a efficient as Acetylene, but saves a ton of $$$$
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I got next to nothing for you again, but here's what I do know. Acetylene and MAPP gas are two distinctly different animals. I have the el-cheapo basic MAPP gas kit, and I'll swear by it's effectiveness in using it to heat smaller items for removal, like for stuck brake caliper pins. (It heats the metal hotter than propane will get it, and at a much faster rate...) One of the best $35.00 investments I've ever made. It's a good starter "hot wrench" for a guy on a budget who may or may not need to step up to a hotter wrench depending on skill developement.

However, like oldred says, if you buy a torch kit, do buy the best you can afford. And buy it from a reputable source. A torch is like any other good shop tool. You get what you pay for.

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Twenty years ago I bought a Sears Craftsman two stage system. When the acetylene regulator had a problem, I took it to my local welding supply store a couple of years ago for repair (a seal failed) - and it turns out that it's a Harris, one of the industry standards. I lost a tip nut - and a Harris part fit right on. Now, does Sears still sell that same level - not a clue, but you might find a used setup reasonably priced.

Dave W
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
I use the propane (LP Gas) tank off my RV, plus Oxy for cutting only. Just use a bigger tip. Since I don't do gas welding (Gas is used for cutting only - largely due to my incompetence as a welder) I have no use for a tank of acetylene.

Works well - maybe not as a efficient as Acetylene, but saves a ton of $$$$

Propane does indeed work for cutting and it can be used for brazing also, not as good in either case as Acetylene but it does work just fine. Welding with it is another story but for cutting, at least in normal situations, it is not too bad and as you point out it is MUCH cheaper! Now that statement about "just use a bigger tip" has me wondering, are you using Acetylene tips? If so you need to switch to the two-piece tips made for LP and MAPP because they work a heck of a lot better than the Acetylene tips (they will cut better and stay lit! ) with either of these gases. When I ran my welding shop we used a lot of Propane for general cutting because it was so much cheaper but we also kept Acetylene torches set up in the shop for use where the Propane was not practical, we used Acetylene exclusively on the service trucks however.

BTW, we also used Propylene torch gas for a while but for what it cost it was not worth the slightly better performance that it gave over the Propane and you still can not weld with it.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks again for all the awesome replies. I'll definitely be picking up a Victor set, probably the CutSkill. There's a CutSkill set with tanks for sale online for roughly $300. I can get the CutSkill torch set (minus tanks) for less than half that price. Should I really expect to pay $150-$200 for a couple of tanks and a tote? I know I can get medical oxygen tanks cheap on ebay, are those acceptable for oxy/acet. torch use? Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

There a couple of reasons to stay away from the medical tanks. One, they are very small and you will be spending a lot of time getting them filled IF you can even get them filled at a welding gas company. I would ask the question first!!! Second, the regulator/fittings are probably not compatible with Oxy/Act. Third, I am not sure you can get enough pressure in the tank (high pressure is associated with high quantity ie the higher you take the pressure, the more Oxygen you can squeeze into the space). Another thought, you need to visit you local gas supplier to see if he will service personal tanks. I have learned it is better to rent than own because of the inspection and recertification requirements of your personal tanks. If you don't know what these are, find out before you buy anything!!!

I have a Victor torch with welding and cutting attachments. I also have OxWeld, which is more commercial/industrial oriented. Do not have any experience with Harris, but their rep is solid.

Trees

Trees
Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 AM

I own my tanks (fairly big, tho not sure of their capacity at ~4+/- feet each tall) but only one place will service them - and I no longer live close to their shop, so while it is reasonable inexpensive to exchange them, the time and gas add a fair amount. The others locally only lease that standard size and larger with a long term lease, 5 to 10 years.

Dave W
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Tractor supply and Northern tool have tank rentals at a decent rate if you have one near you and you can get them filled on weekends too.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Tractor supply and Northern tool have tank rentals at a decent rate if you have one near you and you can get them filled on weekends too.
....none of my local Tractor Supply stores do that, so that in some areas can be a problem(that is, unless there has been a recent change). It has to do, I'm sure, with being in NY State , the land of taxes and fees

Dave W
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 AM

OLD RED is right. I worked as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for 35 yrs. The companies all use Victor torches. I've had my first one for 30 yrs. and now have 3, ona in the shop, one on a cart that can be rolled around the yard, and one in my old service truck ( semi- retired )

OLD HEMI
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

my dad has victor torches. He has had them for a long time and has cut up a lot of scrap with them. We get our bottles at a welding supply store. A large bottle of oxygen is roughly $20. The rent on the bottle is $6 a month. We use propane so we own that tank. I would reccomed victor torches

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.