Recommended Gun for Shooting SPI Universal Clear??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastomeh View Post

depending on what I'm trying to shoot. I've also got a HF 2.0 Siphon Feed Gun that I LOVE for heavy primers.

Tom
I too have a HF siphon gun - and use it for somewhat thinned house paint. Not a brush mark in sight. I do have to clean the nozzle occasionally, but with latex, a brush, soapy water and 4-5 minutes and back to work

Good to hear that the grand kids are giving you something useful. My ten GC - sigh. How many shirts can a retired OF wear.

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Good to hear that the grand kids are giving you something useful.
Well, to be completely honest - it's a "preemptive strike" on my part by spending some of their inheritance!

While I love them dearly, I want them to be a little sad at my passing; not too busy enjoying counting the zeroes on the estate settlement checks!!

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, to be completely honest - it's a "preemptive strike" on my part by spending some of their inheritance!

While I love them dearly, I want them to be a little sad at my passing; not too busy enjoying counting the zeroes on the estate settlement checks!!

Tom
Tom,
Sounds like a real plan to me - and I also AM spending my ten GC's inheritance on my wife and me

Dave W
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

FYI the iwata lph400 are guns that need proper setting and new way of spraying. They take less air and need to be sprayed closer to the panel and at a slower pace. I have one and have mix.feeling for theme I can sometimes get great results and sometimes get really bad results. So practice and practice before you attempt a whole car.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

Setting for iwata are 18 to 20 psi Intel, 3 turns showing on the fluid needle 5-6 inches from panels. And medium movement.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments, recommendations and advice!

I've decided on the IWATA LPH400-LV gun with the Silver Air Cap. It is overkill and I will probably never do it justice, but figure "what-the-H*LL" - at my age I feel that I deserve it, so I'm gonna' "treat" myself!

At least I will not be wondering if I could have done better with a "good" gun!!

Thanx again,

Tom
Thats a great gun,thats what my 1.4 tip gun is and my 1.3 is a sata,I didnt want to name the brands and make you think the name was everything.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:

Tom
They wont have that problem with mine ,theres only one "o"......and no numbers at all...LOL
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

"FYI the iwata lph400 are guns that need proper setting and new way of spraying. They take less air and need to be sprayed closer to the panel and at a slower pace. I have one and have mix.feeling for theme I can sometimes get great results and sometimes get really bad results. So practice and practice before you attempt a whole car.

Setting for iwata are 18 to 20 psi Intel, 3 turns showing on the fluid needle 5-6 inches from panels. And medium movement."

The air cap says 16psi inlet = 10 psi for HVLP or LVLP, the gun can handle 300psi, so you can adjust it to fit your personal preference unless you're LEGALLY REQUIRED to use HVLP. Check your local air quality control board first.

Some clears will like the 1.3 tip, some need the 1.4 tip, I have not used any clears that need a 1.5 tip.

It's a great gun, personal favorite for clears, tone it down as low as you can use, it really does save on materials quite a bit. It puts the paint on the panel, not in the filters.

Have fun with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman View Post
"FYI the iwata lph400 are guns that need proper setting and new way of spraying. They take less air and need to be sprayed closer to the panel and at a slower pace. I have one and have mix.feeling for theme I can sometimes get great results and sometimes get really bad results. So practice and practice before you attempt a whole car.

Setting for iwata are 18 to 20 psi Intel, 3 turns showing on the fluid needle 5-6 inches from panels. And medium movement."

The air cap says 16psi inlet = 10 psi for HVLP or LVLP, the gun can handle 300psi, so you can adjust it to fit your personal preference unless you're LEGALLY REQUIRED to use HVLP. Check your local air quality control board first.

Some clears will like the 1.3 tip, some need the 1.4 tip, I have not used any clears that need a 1.5 tip.

It's a great gun, personal favorite for clears, tone it down as low as you can use, it really does save on materials quite a bit. It puts the paint on the panel, not in the filters.

Have fun with it.

I have actually done spotting in of color as well as clear as low as 10-12psig, but seldom have I used over 15-18psig for any paints. It's what works for you and the great thing with this gun. The SPI forum has a lot of info as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Guys,

You have no idea how much I appreciate this tips and comments!!

I have ordered mine with the 1.3 and the 1.4 fluid nozzles.

I also ordered a digital diaphram regulator separately.

NEW Astro Pneumatic Tool Company Digital Diaphragm Regulator 2661 | eBay

Thanx,

Tom
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

devillbiss plus

sprays great.not hvlp.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I know this is an older post, but I was wondering if anyone had ever sprayed the 1:1 or 4:1 SPI with a non-hvlp 1.5? I have a 1.5 that I LOVE and have really good results spraying other 4:1 clears with but I have never used the SPI. I hope to try it soon and the only 1.4 gun I have I use for base only. Anyone have any insight as to how well the 1.5 may work? Or go for it and see lol. I attached a pic of a hood I sprayed today with the 1.5. I will leave the name brand out but it is a value line of a major brand $100 a gallon 4:1 clear. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122012 013.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	69954  
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

carolina',

If you don't get any other replies, contact Barry K. at the phone number given on the SPI website. SOOOOOOOOPER guy to talk with and will help you any way he can.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tom
Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
carolina',

If you don't get any other replies, contact Barry K. at the phone number given on the SPI website. SOOOOOOOOPER guy to talk with and will help you any way he can.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tom

Thanks, I have been talking with Barry about trying the SPI product line and didn't really even think of recommended tip size. I just happened across this thread and figured I would try to get some input from someone who had tried it. I know most people would say a 1.5 is a bit excessive , but its just what I learned to spray with and it gives good results.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Anyone spraying the universal through a sata 3000 help 1.4? Just seeing if it sprays well through that gun. I also have a 3000rp 1.3. Trying to decide which to use.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.