Hot Rod Forum banner

Recovery tank size question

907 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
Hey all;
I have a question regarding recovery tanks sizes. I recently purchased a new American Eagle aluminum radiator for the 69 Mustang project, the original recovery tank is junk and I have on the shelves a stainless steel 3 x 10 inch tubular style recovery tank I'd like to use. The radiator size is 24 inch with 2 cores and 1 inch tubes. I fabricated a 18 x 24 inch fan shroud that had a 3000 CFM 16 inch fan on it. Horsepower is just a little higher than stock. My question is how do you calculate proper tank size? Can you run 2 smaller tanks in series to double your capacity? I'd like to use the stainless steel one so I can build the radiator, fan and recovery tank as a module that can come out in one piece.

Thanks for any info
Mark

#2 ·
That is the same size recovery tank as the one I have.. I am just going to run it and if it develops I need something different then I will deal with it. None of these things come out perfect on the first try in my experience..

Just my thoughts..

Sam

#3 ·
I have a Billet Specialties tank, and I think its about 1.5"x16". I top off the radiator and fill the recovery tank, go for a nice drive to get the system nice and hot, The system will puke out what it doesn't need via the recovery tank standpipe. On my setup the recovery tank is usually empty when cold and full when hot. I'm good with that, hope this helps.

Keith

#4 ·
i made my truk recover tank out of 3'' stainless exhaust tube about 1 foot long, it holds well over a quart of fluid
there is no cap, i just fill the radiator to within an inch of the top and let it do it's thing
the vent tube is welded in the bottom but goes to the top of the tank with an angled cut end
it has never puked or lost any fluid, so i assume it is big enough :D

#7 ·
I have a bit smaller aftermarket tank. This prooved to be too small as it was always low to empty and the radiator was low when cold.

I don't have a lot of room where the tank is so I made an aluminum tank that looks like a very big "hip flask" . I mounted this in the fender well and plumbed it to the overflow of the original tank. It doesn't have a cap. I just fill the original and keep going until the overflow won't take anymore. This means the "pocket" tank is full too. The second tank is mounted lower than the bottom of the original tank so it will gravity fill.

I fill the rad cold and drive it. As the coolant expands it pushes a bit out the pocket tank overflow. When It cools the shrinkage pulls from both tanks. The original is always full and there is some in the pocket tank. It works very well.

So to answer the OP question, yes you can use two tanks in series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.